BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Tactics for Bigs With Great Passing

Tactics for Bigs With Great Passing

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/22/2015 10:38:06
Overall Posts Rated:
So I have a couple of bigs that I have been training for a couple of seasons that have very high HA/PA. What tactics do you think best utilizes bigs with high PA as a facilitator? Does position PF vs C matter?

This Post:
275427.2 in reply to 275427.1
Date: 11/22/2015 10:49:42
Overall Posts Rated:
to part A: I know Motion does.
to part B: i do not have a conclusive answer for you that would be reliable. I apologize.

This Post:
275427.3 in reply to 275427.1
Date: 11/22/2015 12:38:00
Overall Posts Rated:
I haven't used Motion or Princeton a lot, but when I do it seems that my guards shoot more 3's and my C and PF get more assists. I don't keep data on that, however.

This Post:
275427.4 in reply to 275427.3
Date: 11/22/2015 14:44:15
Overall Posts Rated:
inside isolation also might work wonders...

This Post:
275427.7 in reply to 275427.1
Date: 11/30/2015 07:08:20
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Any offense in which they have the ball a lot, a bit less when they are specifically instructed to score.

LI, Princeton, Motion, Inside ISO, LP work well (roughly in that order), but almost any offense your big will make use of his passing. It also depends on his other offensive skills; if you got a big that is a great scorer but also a great passer, he won't have eye popping assists because often he'll be able to score himself. A more defensive minded big with high passing will usually have more assists, because he needs to pass more often because he can't score himself.

This Post:
275427.8 in reply to 275427.7
Date: 12/01/2015 09:58:09
Miami Machetes
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
It really depends a lot on the matchup as well. I have a PF who has averaged about 20 PTS and 5 AST per ~30 MIN played on the Finnish elite level for the last couple of seasons, after his training reached its final stage. He's an excellent and very versatile scorer for a big with, well, let's just say 15+ passing. For the last three seasons, icluding this one, he's been not just my leading scorer but has also been racking up the most assists out of my team. And my starting guards have 15+ PA as well. So while he's the go-to-guy for my team offensively, and is basically always specifically put into a position to score, both matchup- and tactics-wise, he also racks up the assists.

I haven't noticed any clearcut trend about his assist totals dropping a lot whenever he gets a matchup he can exploit and score a lot himself. It seems to me that with those matchups it's more likely for him to get more assists too, and not just bigger point totals. I do have some good scorers around him as well, so that obviously makes it more likely for him to pass it if his own shot's propability isn't too high.

Basically I only run LI/LP/II, because that's just how my team is built. So I don't have any idea how his passing works with Princeton, Motion, etc., outside of the occasional NT games which clearly isn't enough of a sample size for me to speculate on. His passing usually does wonders in any of the tactics I use, and I think it's more about the matchups you can find for a guy like him. I've found II the best for that, especially when you can find him a defender with low OD, since that seems to give him more room to work with his passing + he can score from mid and long ranges as well. Then again, I've also found that tactic a bit risky, if the opponent does find a way to shut him and the secondary scorer next to him down, since guards (at least somewhat regular ones) are usually pretty useless in it.

Haven't noticed any difference regarding position SF/PF/C. Also, if by a facilitator you meant strictly a no-scoring, high-passing-and-defence type of guy, then this post propably does nothing for you and has been a huge waste of my time as well, in which case I'm sorry for both of us. :D

To: Phyr
This Post:
275427.10 in reply to 275427.1
Date: 12/02/2015 08:35:15
Smallfries
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Smallfries II
Do these bigs have good driving as well?

This Post:
275427.11 in reply to 275427.8
Date: 12/02/2015 15:17:38
white snake
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
Currently I'm working to get back to the second div. So I can't compair my players to your high level yet.

I have also two bigs with PA 15+. But my team is build exactly the other way round. I'm running with an outside team, a bunch of high SBer (could set up a S5 with SB 10+ without any problems) and low scoring (opponents FG% this season: 27%). My two best assist players are my two bigs. One has 5.5 ast/game and the other one 4.2 ast/game. Thanks to SB I don't need a lot of RB. My best guy has RB 9 and my team still manages to end up at second place for rebounds.

But back to the topic. PA on bigs and outside offenses work pretty well. For the bigs there is less pressure from this crippeled OD <5 bigs. So they have a very easy passing route. From this the guards benefit also, because they receive high quality passes which influences their possible FG%. Thanks to these passes it's harder to defend the guards and for me, I can play with a small salary team. As long as I can keep my opponents under 60 pts, everything is safe "60 wins"