Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
261712.4 in reply to 261712.1
Date: 07/29/2014 03:39:49
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah a few weeks of 1v1 is a good starting point for your training. Like said, training secondaries is a smart thing to do when your trainee is young and trains fast, and you won't miss him on his primary position since he's not good anyway (as opposed to playing a 50k center at PG, you'll miss him at C). Your first guy actually has pretty good DR/HA already, and with some Passing training they will be around 10. Get OD up too, so you have the hardest to train secondaries at a good level right away. JS can be trained later from the PF position.

Once done with the secondaries I'd start with ID so your guy can at least defend and with the good passing he won't be too much of a weak link on offense.

This Post:
261712.5 in reply to 261712.3
Date: 07/29/2014 04:35:42
Overall Posts Rated:
No, I think it raises it about the same. The difference is if your trainee can defend well, he can play in higher leagues and in more games rather than being a liability. Easier to make up offense than defense, which is why defense is usually suggested before offense for training. Or at least that is my belief along with many other people.

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
261712.7 in reply to 261712.1
Date: 07/30/2014 03:55:40
Overall Posts Rated:
ok im gonna buck the trend of the advice given here.

You are in Div IV. and you have MVP trainee's. who are 7'0 and 7'1.

And are 18.

You can't ignore primary skills forever. So unless you are planning on moving up 2 divisons in th next few seasons, train the primaries and then sell them. They are MVP potential, so you are looking at having a $150k+ Salary big man in about 5 seasons time.

yes - train 1n1 for forwards, but really, financially, its pointless to try and limit their salary for MVP potential players. Train them to be good players to sell. Oterwise you are wasting their potential and height.

On the other hand, if you ARE plannign on being in Div II in 3-4 seasons time (hehe go for it!) - then. train ID and SB. You could get away with Respectable Driving whilst in div IV (and possibly in Div III). After that, you will need to bump it a bit.

This Post:
261712.8 in reply to 261712.7
Date: 07/30/2014 05:19:52
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
I think with good secondaries trained and overall good training they'll sell for a lot more than if you were to sell them now.

This Post:
261712.11 in reply to 261712.10
Date: 07/30/2014 17:32:39
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, and everyone is advising against that. Most are advising to train secondaries first to avoid that problem and to increase market value, while the alternative that has been advised to sell right away. No-one said train primaries endlessly.

This Post:
261712.12 in reply to 261712.10
Date: 07/31/2014 00:23:05
Overall Posts Rated:
That's very good for top teams in rebuild and some bottom teams too if they work the starting bidding prices right..I think its a matter of what your trying to do. Sell or keep(build)

Primes for selling.. seconds for keeping. That how I look at it.

The op has good players. They will get expensive, I assume he plays them both at same time, so he will going up.

This Post:
261712.13 in reply to 261712.11
Date: 07/31/2014 00:27:03
Overall Posts Rated:
So - just to clarify because I think it has been taken a bit out of context.
I never suggested train primaries endlessly - correct. I never suggested to never train secondaries.

My suggestion was merely an alternative to the majority secondaries training that others were suggesting for the coming season. These are some of the con's/pro's of my suggestion.

If he trains majority secondaries for 1 season - he ends up with a player that
a) he can't really use in league games because his primaries aren't good enough.
b) he ends up with a player that no one else will want to play in their league games.

So by training majority secondaries in the coming season, from a commercial perspective, he limits his selling audience at the end of season, to only people who want to train him. Bad thing? Maybe... a little bit. he could still sell him and make nice profit. But as a player, he is still useless.

If he decides to train majority primaries he ends up with:
a) a player that can play in his league games, thus making achieving further training minutes easier, plus the added financial benefit of not having to have another player and accompanying salary.
b) A player that if he sells, will still sell for a good profit.
c) If the owner promotes, he also has a chance of having the trainee's be useful players in that division.
d) A player that, if he decides to sell, has a wider commercial audience - people who will train him AND people who would want to use him in the team. (The above benefits would apply to other trainee's, and these are benefits as well).

My recommendation is that - at some point in the next 3-4 seasons, you will need to train secondaries at some stages- absolutely. definitely. For me though? id train majority primaries.

So yer, its a choice - there are pro's and con's to each - im just merely stating some of the cons and pro's of my suggestion. Nothing wrong with, nothing wrong about training secondaries either, its a choice for the owner to decide with as much info as we can all contribute.

This Post:
261712.14 in reply to 261712.13
Date: 07/31/2014 03:42:48
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
While I agree it's a valid alternative, I don't totally agree with your pro's and con's.

While an 18-yo trained in his primaries is better suited at playing league games, that difference isn't making a difference in his market value. People are not paying 500k for a 19 year old MVP to just play league games. The people paying the price you get either way, are people that are going to train him. I don't think his value will rise because he can play league games better. If anything, I think his value will rise when training secondaries because teams don't have to train him out of position that much, so he'll be better in league games.

A difference in our take is that you suggest to sell after 1 season. I was thinking more of a 3-5 season window, in which he'll have a reasonable salary when trained in secondaries.

If you intend to sell him after 1 season, training primaries is a good thing to do. If his secondaries aren't terrible, people don't mind him being trained just in the primaries, and it will increase his value for sure. If you intend to sell him after 3-5 season, it's better to start training secondaries first, because after 3-5 seasons people cannot really train secondaries anymore, and by then he'll have lost potential value.

Advertisement