Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
261712.11 in reply to 261712.10
Date: 07/30/2014 17:32:39
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, and everyone is advising against that. Most are advising to train secondaries first to avoid that problem and to increase market value, while the alternative that has been advised to sell right away. No-one said train primaries endlessly.

This Post:
261712.12 in reply to 261712.10
Date: 07/31/2014 00:23:05
Overall Posts Rated:
That's very good for top teams in rebuild and some bottom teams too if they work the starting bidding prices right..I think its a matter of what your trying to do. Sell or keep(build)

Primes for selling.. seconds for keeping. That how I look at it.

The op has good players. They will get expensive, I assume he plays them both at same time, so he will going up.

This Post:
261712.13 in reply to 261712.11
Date: 07/31/2014 00:27:03
Overall Posts Rated:
So - just to clarify because I think it has been taken a bit out of context.
I never suggested train primaries endlessly - correct. I never suggested to never train secondaries.

My suggestion was merely an alternative to the majority secondaries training that others were suggesting for the coming season. These are some of the con's/pro's of my suggestion.

If he trains majority secondaries for 1 season - he ends up with a player that
a) he can't really use in league games because his primaries aren't good enough.
b) he ends up with a player that no one else will want to play in their league games.

So by training majority secondaries in the coming season, from a commercial perspective, he limits his selling audience at the end of season, to only people who want to train him. Bad thing? Maybe... a little bit. he could still sell him and make nice profit. But as a player, he is still useless.

If he decides to train majority primaries he ends up with:
a) a player that can play in his league games, thus making achieving further training minutes easier, plus the added financial benefit of not having to have another player and accompanying salary.
b) A player that if he sells, will still sell for a good profit.
c) If the owner promotes, he also has a chance of having the trainee's be useful players in that division.
d) A player that, if he decides to sell, has a wider commercial audience - people who will train him AND people who would want to use him in the team. (The above benefits would apply to other trainee's, and these are benefits as well).

My recommendation is that - at some point in the next 3-4 seasons, you will need to train secondaries at some stages- absolutely. definitely. For me though? id train majority primaries.

So yer, its a choice - there are pro's and con's to each - im just merely stating some of the cons and pro's of my suggestion. Nothing wrong with, nothing wrong about training secondaries either, its a choice for the owner to decide with as much info as we can all contribute.

This Post:
261712.14 in reply to 261712.13
Date: 07/31/2014 03:42:48
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
While I agree it's a valid alternative, I don't totally agree with your pro's and con's.

While an 18-yo trained in his primaries is better suited at playing league games, that difference isn't making a difference in his market value. People are not paying 500k for a 19 year old MVP to just play league games. The people paying the price you get either way, are people that are going to train him. I don't think his value will rise because he can play league games better. If anything, I think his value will rise when training secondaries because teams don't have to train him out of position that much, so he'll be better in league games.

A difference in our take is that you suggest to sell after 1 season. I was thinking more of a 3-5 season window, in which he'll have a reasonable salary when trained in secondaries.

If you intend to sell him after 1 season, training primaries is a good thing to do. If his secondaries aren't terrible, people don't mind him being trained just in the primaries, and it will increase his value for sure. If you intend to sell him after 3-5 season, it's better to start training secondaries first, because after 3-5 seasons people cannot really train secondaries anymore, and by then he'll have lost potential value.

This Post:
261712.15 in reply to 261712.14
Date: 07/31/2014 04:06:18
Overall Posts Rated:
just an example to show how training bigmen and promoting can go hand in hand.

I have been training two big men prospects for 3-4 seasons now. i trained insideskills for the first season because i intended to draft a SF trainee in the following offseason so i could train them all together.

as a result i had two 19year olds with insideskills close to 10, increasing secondaries and a salary between 5k and 10k.

at this time i played in league IV. so it didn't really matter if they were good players or not, but last season i promoted and now after i almost finished training them secondaries, i am very glad that they have IS ID and REB around 10 (well at the moment they have almost everyskill at 10). this way they can be useful in the U21 as well as at the C or PF position in league III where I continue to train them in 1on1 and insideskills.

edit: to be honest, if i trained only secondaries by now i would also be training insideskills and maybe they would be as useful as they are now, but the difference is, that while training them on an offposition (PG) for the last three seasons i could use them fairly well as PF and SF in the playoffs while training 1on1.

Last edited by jonte at 07/31/2014 04:07:40

This Post:
261712.16 in reply to 261712.15
Date: 07/31/2014 05:28:06
Woodbridge Wreckers
DBA Pro A
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it all depends on your plan and ability to compete. If you plan to train secondaries at some point, you have to decide when is the best time. For training purposes, the earlier the better because the later the longer it takes. As for league games, it depends. Say you want 2 seasons of secondary training, I think it would be better to have it early in their career because they're not good in league games anyway. If you wait with it after 2 seasons, you'll have a 15k center playing PG who could otherwise help your team. If you would have mainly secondaries with some ID every now and then, you'll have a servicable player (assuming IS is trained through 1v1 and some ID is mixed in), and you'll have trained secondaries faster, and kept salary lower.

This Post:
261712.17 in reply to 261712.14
Date: 07/31/2014 07:08:44
Overall Posts Rated:
A difference in our take is that you suggest to sell after 1 season. I was thinking more of a 3-5 season window, in which he'll have a reasonable salary when trained in secondaries.

yer sorry, i think i may have walked into suggesting that he sells him after one season - i was just using 1 season of growth as the example

my advice isnt to sell after 1 season. so yer sorry for the confusion - i used too many hypotheticals without clarifying.

This Post:
261712.18 in reply to 261712.9
Date: 07/31/2014 15:37:40
Neverwinter
CGBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey mate :)

I don't agree with few things about your build. First off, he is starting with low JS, so I would build him as a center, not PF. It would waste too much time to bring up JS.

Second, I don't like the 16/16/14/10 build. In my opinion, rebounding needs to be the highest skill for centers. Also, he should think about higher shotblocking, especially since they decreased the cost of it recently.

This Post:
261712.19 in reply to 261712.18
Date: 07/31/2014 20:35:42
Overall Posts Rated:
Also, he should think about higher shotblocking, especially since they decreased the cost of it recently.

OMG totally agree. hooray for you

he is starting with low JS, so I would build him as a center, not PF. It would waste too much time to bring up JS.

and agree again.

Second, I don't like the 16/16/14/10 build

wait, are you reading my mind?
yer i agree. less IS, more driving. 16ID is probably ok IMO, but more SB than 10. Sacrifice ID 1 or 2 points for extra SB. id like to see SB at 15 personally

Advertisement