BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - III.5 > Season 63: What Will It Be?

Season 63: What Will It Be?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/30/2023 18:51:18
Rip City Revival
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Rip City Utopia
Good evening basketball fans, wherever you may be (hat tip to the late great, Bill Schonley),

Welcome to Season 63. A season where anything is possible and nothing is guaranteed.

A warm welcome to all of the managers, relegee and promotee alike. A warm welcome back to you survivors of S62 III.5.

Curious managers. . what are your goals for this season?

I will kick start that conversation. Once I again I'm hoping to win a relegation series. I'm in season 3 of the great US-only experiment and I am finally to the point where my highest TSP guys are the ones I've spent the most time training. I'm still not seeing the effect on merch and attendance, but hopefully over time things will sort out. I added two more young guys to my stable and my primary training targets are set. I'm ok with the guys around them, but not in love with them. Thery're just ok. And that's ok.

What about you all?

This Post:
322226.2 in reply to 322226.1
Date: 12/03/2023 22:57:16
HumanFund
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Goblin Juice
Hello Jbogroff and all, I am hoping as well to not relegate. However, I am already so lucky to be here. The team I played in relegation last season had a way better team than me but decided not to play and relegate himself. So I will be training as well and at quite a bit of disadvantage in salary. Who knows, I may pick up a player along the way if the price is right...once i get these young guys trained up I will go for it. Good luck to all!

JPeterman

This Post:
322226.3 in reply to 322226.2
Date: 12/06/2023 19:49:50
Swiss Cheese Defense
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
IQ Under Room Temp
Same here. Just trying not to relegate and train. All the while saving up for a new arena.

This Post:
322226.4 in reply to 322226.3
Date: 12/22/2023 06:48:24
Bay Harbor Butchers
IV.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Selling off an entire team if anyone is interested. Don't have time to commit to BB right now, keep forgetting to setup lineup, hurting enth and minutes, for the past couple seasons. Don't want to see the players I trained go to waste on my losing team. Hopefully they find a good home!

This Post:
322226.5 in reply to 322226.3
Date: 12/26/2023 20:50:23
Jaguars
IV.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Not a huge fan of this site. I started playing because it was said to be the most realistic BB game and that's just not the case.
1. You've teams with 37+ yr olds playing out of their mind, where that's just not how the world of BB works.
2. Teams that only start 5 players and no bench and they win more times then not. That is something you would never see happen...EVER!

Those are my biggest "concerns" and what keeps me from being more active.

I've sent BB emails, and they just don't wanna fix anything. They say if managers wanna sign 37+ yr olds that's their choice. And I'm all fine with that, that was never my issue, my issue is they play like they're in the prime of their careers. So I don't see anything changing. If anyone knows a more realistic BB game hit me up!
Thanks~ YOUR Jaguars Inc.

This Post:
322226.6 in reply to 322226.5
Date: 12/28/2023 12:07:48
Swiss Cheese Defense
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
IQ Under Room Temp
A 37+ isn't playing like they are in their prime. Understand they have had multiple drops since age 30. Comparitively they are playing like crap since they were in their 20s. Also remember, that here in tier III, we are the equivilent to the NAIA. And yes, a squad of just five NBA 37 year olds would trash any NAIA team out there. You have to think comparitively. Most of those 37 year olds are not going to be playing competatively in the NBBA. They're going to be doing what Dwight Howard is doing now. And in the NBBA league, they are fielding strong rosters every game. Whereas, most D or G leagues aren't motivated by winning so much as they are evaluating and training. Which means they will start a crap lineup every now and then. The only difference between reality is that those D or G league teams don't move up or relegate.

Last edited by Phosrik1 at 12/28/2023 13:18:23

This Post:
322226.7 in reply to 322226.5
Date: 12/29/2023 08:19:11
Pixies
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Try those 2 strategies that you mentioned, you should win out then ;)

This Post:
322226.8 in reply to 322226.7
Date: 12/29/2023 13:33:59
Jaguars
IV.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Start 5 guys for a whole season (22 games straight) see what your record would be against the worst team in the NCAA. Plus not to mention players looking to play else where, cos their coach is crap and running his players into the ground. And go play 37+ year Olds in 22 games playing 40 plus minutes a night (i promise you, no no i bet you money they wouldn't put up numbers like you see in this game) and see if your be fired in your 1st year of coaching :)....*walks away from the press conference*

This Post:
322226.9 in reply to 322226.8
Date: 12/29/2023 18:37:08
Swiss Cheese Defense
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
IQ Under Room Temp
If the 5 guys are all current or former NBA players then yes, they would trash any NAIA team any day (not NCAA, that woiuld be our tier II). And yes they would put up those numbers because thier competition is crap. They would likely be competative against half of the NCAA teams too. And those 37 Y/O players are always going to be good. You don't stick around until that age if you suck. Always remember that the worst NBA team is still better than the NCAA champs. So, those older players, while having lost a step, are still vastly better in skill then your typical lower division team can put up.

I took a look in the NBBA division and while their are a few 37+ y/o players, most are either minute soakers or reserves. Only a about three looked to be starters.

BTW, there are 10 players in the NBA right now 36 years old or older including Lebron James and Chris Paul.

This Post:
322226.10 in reply to 322226.9
Date: 12/29/2023 19:17:39
Jaguars
IV.8
Overall Posts Rated:
If you're talking NBA 37+ they would probably trash any NAIA or NCAA team. Sure I'll give you that. My point is 37+ 5 players or just a full roster of 37+ yr Olds, for a full season (22 BB games) I don't think they would last. You took L.James and Paul other then those I think all the other guys are washed for the most part.
If we could take a generator and sim 22 regular season games NOT including the playoffs. All 40 plus minutes for team of 5 37+ players...or 33 minutes I guess for a full roster of 37+. I bet they would be lucky to be .500 (11-11). And we play what 2 games a week sometimes. These guys don't have much grip on their tires as it is.
*press conference over...anyone got a beer 🍺

This Post:
322226.11 in reply to 322226.10
Date: 12/31/2023 15:23:08
Rip City Revival
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Rip City Utopia
I tend to agree with the examples given of the NBA and NAIA (keep in mind we are a relegation model so its basically a game of economics). I used to play this game with 34-37 year olds and try to just manage the economics and hold on to their prime My tactics were to pick 4 guys to train and then have old guys as my core guys. I suppose I still do this to some degree but I'm way more in "training mode."

Keep in mind those old guys are slipping quickly at some point and sometimes they lose two per skill per week.

I'm experimenting with a single position training model where I play one PG 48 minutes, then another 48 minutes and a 3rd for the full 48 in the scrimmage/cup and I have to say that if you can weather a few seasons of mediocrity this is the way to train! I'm getting huge gains for both this team and my Utopia team. One of my Utopia guards has gone from Inept to Prominent just this season (he has Colossal Handling so the elasticity is huge).

The hardest part for me has been transitioning to an all-USA roster. I honestly haven't seen the economic advantage that I expected, both in merch and in arena, but I'll keep it through at least this season. Maybe it is more for those homegrown-draftees and not for acquired players.

I place very low value in the draft and I tend to have a 100% acquisition strategy.

How does everyone feel about their season so far? I'm good with where I'm at, right on the line of playoffs and relegation series. I'm hoping to keep around .500.