BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - III.5 > Season 63: What Will It Be?

Season 63: What Will It Be?

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
322226.10 in reply to 322226.9
Date: 12/29/2023 19:17:39
Jaguars
IV.8
Overall Posts Rated:
If you're talking NBA 37+ they would probably trash any NAIA or NCAA team. Sure I'll give you that. My point is 37+ 5 players or just a full roster of 37+ yr Olds, for a full season (22 BB games) I don't think they would last. You took L.James and Paul other then those I think all the other guys are washed for the most part.
If we could take a generator and sim 22 regular season games NOT including the playoffs. All 40 plus minutes for team of 5 37+ players...or 33 minutes I guess for a full roster of 37+. I bet they would be lucky to be .500 (11-11). And we play what 2 games a week sometimes. These guys don't have much grip on their tires as it is.
*press conference over...anyone got a beer 🍺

This Post:
322226.11 in reply to 322226.10
Date: 12/31/2023 15:23:08
Rip City Revival
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Rip City Utopia
I tend to agree with the examples given of the NBA and NAIA (keep in mind we are a relegation model so its basically a game of economics). I used to play this game with 34-37 year olds and try to just manage the economics and hold on to their prime My tactics were to pick 4 guys to train and then have old guys as my core guys. I suppose I still do this to some degree but I'm way more in "training mode."

Keep in mind those old guys are slipping quickly at some point and sometimes they lose two per skill per week.

I'm experimenting with a single position training model where I play one PG 48 minutes, then another 48 minutes and a 3rd for the full 48 in the scrimmage/cup and I have to say that if you can weather a few seasons of mediocrity this is the way to train! I'm getting huge gains for both this team and my Utopia team. One of my Utopia guards has gone from Inept to Prominent just this season (he has Colossal Handling so the elasticity is huge).

The hardest part for me has been transitioning to an all-USA roster. I honestly haven't seen the economic advantage that I expected, both in merch and in arena, but I'll keep it through at least this season. Maybe it is more for those homegrown-draftees and not for acquired players.

I place very low value in the draft and I tend to have a 100% acquisition strategy.

How does everyone feel about their season so far? I'm good with where I'm at, right on the line of playoffs and relegation series. I'm hoping to keep around .500.

This Post:
322226.12 in reply to 322226.11
Date: 12/31/2023 17:32:28
Jaguars
IV.8
Overall Posts Rated:
My economics aren't very good. And by not very good. I mean awful lol. I kinda went against the economic and trying to keep afloat.
I'm trying to think, I have one rookie (I got in the draft) that I'm trying to train. The other is a center (he's only a potential starter) so not very high on him. These guys are cheap however, and like I said about my economics I tried to go cheap. I think after that I only have a few players worth training (I think I have a 27 yr old, a 28 yr old) my team is kinda "trying to figure out what to do" really, we're kinda at our limits. I have made changes to this team while trying to stay competitive it just hasn't worked out in a much bigger league.
So Ken Fogle he's 34 and we are playing him like 40 plus minutes a game (not by choice. I just don't know how to get the game to bring in my younger player more often) is what it is. But to my surprise he hasn't lost any skills....yet.

I have a superior trainer with no special skill training. So hoping he can help train my players faster.
I'm happy to be 3-6 (in a weird way) we are a game out and fighting for a low end playoff seed with a bunch of other teams, so that aspect of it is fun. Like all of us we would like to be in a better position but it's all good.
How does everyone else feel about where their team is at, at this point?

This Post:
322226.13 in reply to 322226.12
Date: 01/04/2024 16:24:02
Rip City Revival
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Rip City Utopia
I have a love/hate relationship with the economics of this game. I've never really been able to get cash flow positive for a sustainable period of time. And the scale is so different between D4, D2 and D3 (which is where I've been most of the time) that it makes it tough to map out a training plan, staff plan, arena building plan, etc. In the past I've had to liquidate my entire squad for financial reasons. One season I ran out of money one game before the end of the season and as a result I went from near guaranteed promotion to a first round exit and rebuild. So yah it is frustrating but I do love the realistic accountability. Still, I have a buddy in D2 who has had as much as 7M in the bank in the past and I just don't even know how that is possible!

I hate the draft and I stopped spending dollars on it unless I'm tanking. Instead I try to acquire players near the end of their rookie season as I've found this to be much more cost effective. The loss / tradeoff is the integration into your training plan and missing their best foundational training season, but the benefit for me has been that it has been more cost effective to get my 3rd or 4th trainee this way.

I've decided that my goal is to try to hang on at D3 for as long as I can in that mid range 4-6 spot and train my guys. As long as I can stay around neutral or even get to 1M positive I think I can level up to D2 again in the next 3 or 4 seasons. But even if I relegate to D4 I think I could still get back to D2 in that timeline (or maybe one more season). I've had a few good runs (four time Division 3 champ), so I feel like I know what I need to be competitive, but it is frustrating how much planning and patience it can take.

I'm pretty much done with my US only test. I'll probably finish this out this season with the trainees I have and then start to just add the right guys for my rotation and bench regardless of nationality. It doesn't feel like the merchandise is really impacted by the homegrown/local player as much as it is by the top talents.

I'm carrying a pretty hefty staff salary right now (on purpose) with an exceptional trainer at 67k per week and a superior youth trainer at 14k. My PR guys is exceptional at 24k and my Doctor is competent at 9k. I usually look for cost-effective staff about 1-2 times per season. I'll probably spend one more season on Pedersen (25 year old MVP at 125 TSP), and this is where the games gets interesting to me. Having my most skilled guy at 25 and trialing him outside, but needing him to transition to some rounded out inside, while still training my younger core of Magana (22 year old perennial allstar at 111 TSP), Riggins (21 year old superstar at 86 TSP, and Maier (21 year old superstar at 78 TSP).

I feel like I used to be able to find gold on the transfer list and now it is just about impossible to find that 9th or 10th guy without overpaying on acquisition or salary. Hence why I've tried to stay in that mediocre range.

This Post:
322226.14 in reply to 322226.13
Date: 02/19/2024 13:18:14
Swiss Cheese Defense
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
IQ Under Room Temp
Good luck in three playoffs all! Don't forget to boost your ticket prices a smidge.

This Post:
322226.15 in reply to 322226.14
Date: 02/23/2024 14:14:13
Swiss Cheese Defense
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
IQ Under Room Temp
So I picked up Liborio Verderame three weeks before the playoffs. Dude was 36 y/o but great stats. He suffered 5 skill drops in 3 weeks and I lost the QF by 2 points. This week after being eliminated? No skill drops. Horrific luck.

This Post:
322226.16 in reply to 322226.15
Date: 02/25/2024 04:56:40
Wadsworth Grizzlies
IV.5
Overall Posts Rated:
I appreciate your hustle

This Post:
322226.17 in reply to 322226.16
Date: 03/13/2024 15:10:14
HumanFund
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Goblin Juice
I am not sure I've ever seen a league where the 7 highest salaries are in one division.