Coach picks from depth chart

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 01/03/2015 14:04:16
Neverwinter
CGBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello, I'm interested to see if anyone out there knows much about coach picks from depth chart option? I'm lurking around these forums quite a lot, but I have never seen any information about this option, seems it's completely neglected by managers.

Since I started playing this game, I have always been training, so I basically only used SFDC option, and experimented a couple of times with blank lineup/let coach decide.

Anyway, I thought to try it out today, and here are results:

-There was no position mixing, at all. The players who were set starter/backup/reserve got 48 minutes.

-AI coach completely ignored my starting lineup. That is, I set up A/B/B format, with weaker players being set up as the starters. AI simply set a B players as starters, and A players played some backup time.

I thought this might simulate sixtn man roles, with better players coming off the bench, but still getting starter minutes.

This Post:
265798.3 in reply to 265798.1
Date: 01/03/2015 16:30:39
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
Probably not a lot of help but I used it in my last NT scrimmage. I set the lineup in the normal way I would with SPfDC, with 5 backups, and 3 reserves (my backup sf was reserve pg.)

The only difference I could see in this one game to what normally happens is my starters all played more than I expected. The reserves didn't play at all.

FWIW: (31434)

This Post:
265798.4 in reply to 265798.3
Date: 01/03/2015 20:11:23
Overall Posts Rated:
I almost always use CPDC and it seems to work well.

Last edited by Mike Franks at 01/03/2015 20:11:41

This Post:
265798.6 in reply to 265798.5
Date: 01/04/2015 00:58:52
Overall Posts Rated:
The guys I put as starters -- they start. Their subs play as subs, and where the differential between the skills is slight, the sub plays good minutes. Where the sub is considerably better than the starter, the sub may wind up with even more minutes than the starter. The 11th and 12th man often do not play at all.

This Post:
265798.7 in reply to 265798.1
Date: 01/04/2015 06:05:30
white snake
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
Every player has a rating for all five positions. The GE calculates this rating from the skills, stamina and the tactic. In the end you have a team with "amount players*5 ratings".
Example:
Player A: PG - 13,7; SG - 13,4; SF - 12,6; PF - 11,2 and C - 9,1

The main target of the enigne is to keep the highest possible rating on the floor. Because of stamina your ratings fall faster or slower. Everytime when there is a break, the engine recalculates the ratings and substitutes the players. With this you have the highest S5.
Another german manager and I found this out in season 20. I made an excel tool to predict the starting 5 of blank/LCD and we tried some stuff with it. I was right in about 90% of the predictions. The sublevels have an influence too, so if there are almost equal ratings it's a gamble.

Last edited by Nachtmahr at 01/04/2015 06:06:05

This Post:
265798.8 in reply to 265798.7
Date: 01/04/2015 12:03:11
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes but it's not that rigid, otherwise the better player set as backup would begin the game over a weaker player set as starter every time (I have no idea if this happens in full lineup/LCD since I do not use that). Therefore there must be some tolerance to that effect, because I've never seen a very weak starter subbed out in the first minute of a game after a foul or a ball out of bounds.

In order to get less extreme minutes on my best players in Utopia (the difference with the other player sharing the same position was significant, like 30k salary to 4-5k salary) I set them as backup with CPfDC: they did play big minutes like 36-40 but that's quite a bit less than where they would have been if I had set them as starters (44+). I did not experience the backup starting over a starter from the beginning as per Alexandar first post until this season: in this game (75896337) the SG who was set as backup (75k salary and strong game shape) did start over the designated starter (a 4-5k scrub on mediocre or average game shape). I don't think this had ever happened to me in 5 seasons on my main team and 3 seasons in the Utopia team.

I regularly use CPfDC and I've never experienced inexplicable or counterintuitive substitution patterns that would not happen with SFDC. If you set your trainee and leave the backup/reserve slot blank the guy plays the whole game, provided that he doesn't have too low stamina, in which case he can get subbed out for a better player in the last couple of minutes (exactly the same issue with SFDC).

As you explained, the main difference between Strictly Follow and CPfDC is that the substitutions are not rigid, but based on the relative strength of the players set at each position and the minutes played as a result are usually more balanced (prior to this season I had never seen the coach subverting my designated starter/backup setting). The relative stamina of the players sharing a position also plays a role in determining the share of minutes. Ratings are generally slightly better with CPfDC.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 01/04/2015 15:28:19