Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/27/2022 11:30:58
Wobbles
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
(50634851)

I am training this player. I drafted him last season and plan on playing/keeping him. I have two others I am training, probably keep them, but may eventually sell one. All our perennial All-Star potential - 19 yo this season.

My question is should I develop his guards skills anymore or go straight to low post skills now?

Also, since he is limited in potential I was not planning on training shotblocking, but just inside shot/defense and rebounding.

Advanced youth trainer and trainer and level 1 gym.

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance.

This Post:
315671.2 in reply to 315671.1
Date: 07/28/2022 11:23:16
Coos Bay Cougars
III.7
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Central Town Chihuahuas
(50634851)

I am training this player. I drafted him last season and plan on playing/keeping him. I have two others I am training, probably keep them, but may eventually sell one. All our perennial All-Star potential - 19 yo this season.

My question is should I develop his guards skills anymore or go straight to low post skills now?

Also, since he is limited in potential I was not planning on training shotblocking, but just inside shot/defense and rebounding.

Advanced youth trainer and trainer and level 1 gym.

Suggestions/comments?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, cool trainee. Sound like you have three guys you like.

I've been trying to implement something similar, and I usually base my whole training plan for the year based on my favorite trainee.

So for instance I'm making a defensive center. So when you ask about guard skills its really about at what level of basketball you expect him to be useful or sold to play in.

In my case I want to build a center that can defend in any league and be a star defender for any team promoting to a top division. So his Inside Defense has to be 18+ but his passing and handling I want to be 10+ so if I can stick it out one more year training guard skills that would be ideal but I also want to win some games. So finding a balance.

So as perennial all-star I think you are smart that more secondaries you can train the lower it will keep his salary and thus stay under the soft cap for that potential.

Last thing ill note is I've been trying to find division skill levels. For instance in USA i think you need 12 in primaries to start in D4 contending teams. Perhaps 14 in primaries in D3. 16 in D2. and 18+ in the NBBA.

This is of course flawed as you can make a stud with one or maybe two high primaries and i low third of fourth primary, but I think this is a decent model.

SO questions to ask yourself, if a better trainee comes in next year would i sell him immediately?
Do i want to keep him to be my starting SF/PF in D3? D2?
What skills will i need to train now before he is against better competition night in night out?
What offense will he fit in, will that make him shot more threes or more twos?
Will he have to find his own shot, just spot up, or more just defend and rebound?

Best of luck if you ever have any updates on those trainees let me know would like to hear how it goes.

The doctor is in...
This Post:
315671.3 in reply to 315671.2
Date: 07/29/2022 12:16:18
Wobbles
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the ideas. BTW, I like your press release :-)