BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Australia > National Team Debate Thread

National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
314226.2 in reply to 314226.1
Date: 04/21/2022 07:59:02
Wuhan Wastrels
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Have already seen how much work Deano puts into the NT program, even at the start of this season before being re-elected. Our off-site forums are spammed with new draftees with NT potential.

I definitely believe that even if you aren't elected you'll still play an active role in the NT community.

However from what I have seen, you definitely deserve to be re-elected hence why I'll be voting for you this season (not to say the other managers wouldn't be capable).

In the interest in starting off the debate thread:

What is your view on prioritising prospects for NT training over U21 training prior? To put it in simpler terms, would you rather a manager trains their player for the view of making the NT team (ie training secondaries younger) or by way of being viable for U21 before NT?

Hopefully I've worded that question in a non-confusing enough way.

Thanks,

This Post:
314226.3 in reply to 314226.2
Date: 04/21/2022 10:04:39
Heywood Big Dogs
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Heywood Lions
Thanks for the kind words, Solesky.
I understand the question and thanks for asking it, it's a good one. Hopefully I can explain my thoughts just as clearly.

I think that depends on the starting point and the potential of the trainee a little. I think it is very possible for players to make both sides, though, but you're right, if you look at the really big sides they have players who peak later but with much higher secondaries. This is much easier to do if you spend at least a full season in the teenage years pumping one on one or secondaries.
If the trainee is MVP or lower this is less of a consideration, because they are less likely to get to those monster levels, so it makes sense for the manager to get the reward of getting their player up to U21 level to make the team and get the rewards of that. In the same way, if you're lucky enough to draft a high TSP HOF or ATG at 18 you can easily train for both, but I think with a lower TSP higher potential guy you can end up with a better build by spending a bit longer rounding them out.
But Whitewind does excellent work advising managers of under-21 players so typically when young guys graduate out of that program they have a sound base that can be built on to make a NT player - the challenge often for managers seems to be how they manage their finances to get there - which leads to an approach I've developed.

I've kind of made a point with managers of not demanding they train certain things but rather give my suggestions about what the team might be looking for when they do eventually make the side and how they might get there. I understand that not every manager is training players purely for the NT but rather to help their own sides grow, so I try to ask managers what they are looking to do with their players and then see how they fit with the other resources we have coming through so I can somehow end up with the best balance and depth possible long term. I have a fairly massive spreadsheet system for tracking how potential players at each age are progressing that allows me to filter by skills to keep tabs on what depth we have coming through - my goal is to end up with a squad that has the best overall range of skills to compete with those bigger sides, which is not always easy.

This Post:
314226.4 in reply to 314226.3
Date: 04/22/2022 23:50:03
Heywood Big Dogs
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Heywood Lions
Anyone else have a question? I’ll do my best. Feedback is always appreciated and questions can be a great way to reflect on how you’re going and where you can improve.

This Post:
314226.5 in reply to 314226.4
Date: 04/24/2022 01:23:28
Wuhan Wastrels
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Everyone please remember to vote before tomorrow 2pm!

This Post:
314226.6 in reply to 314226.5
Date: 04/24/2022 03:39:50
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
As much as it pains me to do so, I have to call out FE for how pointless their campaign has been. If you're going to run you need to 100% commit to it and actually post an election speech.