BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Training Positions

Training Positions

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/18/2007 17:26:51
Overall Posts Rated:
My trainees are Power Forwards, my big "non-trainees" better fit with the Center position. I would like to train my trainees in Inside Def, which means that I have to let my PF play as C and my C as PF in league matches, so they get their training. Why isn't it possible to only train PF? I guess the same problem occurs for PG and SG training.

Anyway, why isn't it possible to choose any position and combination of positions for each training method?

Edited by hariberto (11/18/2007 5:30:53 PM CET)

Last edited by hariberto at 11/18/2007 17:30:53

This Post:
7590.2 in reply to 7590.1
Date: 12/13/2007 11:52:53
Overall Posts Rated:
Anyway, why isn't it possible to choose any position and combination of positions for each training method?

I agree. And bolstered by what brianjames said about inside players and passing here (7517.1), I think this is a subject ripe for discussion.

With the upcoming changes to allow training for "Wingmen" (SG/SF), I would like to see it possible to train any position individually in any skill, and further agree with hariberto;s suggestion that it be possible to make any combination of positions the focus of a teams training for the given week. The current training regimes are rather limiting:

Pressure, Ball Handling
PG, PG/SG, PG/SG/SF.
-only the PG may be trained individually, and SF may be trained, but not quickly. C and PF completely ignored.

Shot Blocking, Inside Defense, Inside Scoring
C, C/PF, C/PF/SF
-only C individually, SF very slowly, guards completely ignored.

Rebounding
C/PF, Team
-No individual training, SF, SG, and PG may only receive "Team" training.

One on One
Guards, Forwards, Team.
-No individual training, Center may only receive "Team" training.

Outside Shooting
SG, PG/SG, Wingmen (SG/SF), Team
-only SG can be trained individually, PF/C may only receive "Team" training.

Jump Shot
Guards, Forwards, Wingmen, Team
-No individual training, C may only receive "Team" training.

Passing
PG, PG/SG, Team
-only PG individually, C/PF/SF may only receive "Team" training.

What this data suggests is that the Power Forward is the least important guy on the court. There is positively nothing that a PF may be trained in individually, and may not receive any sort of effective training in Pressure, Ball Handling, Outside Shooting and Passing. The SF is only slightly less ignored in that a SF may be trained in almost all skills, only very slowly.

Now, it is fair enough to say that all training types also train "secondary"/"tertiary" skills. However, using the PF as an example, a player in the PF position gets (~80%) Handling training by training One on One (Forwards). But he can only improve his Jump Range, Outside Defense and Passing either by playing out of position or via team training. A center cannot train Handling (in addition to the three above skills) unless the team is trained, and may only receive driving training as a secondary of Inside Defense. A SG may not train Inside Defense, Shot Blocking (a surprisingly useful skill for perimeter players) or Rebounding unless the Team is trained, and only receives secondary training in Inside Shot.

But these are just a few examples.

Discuss!!

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
7590.3 in reply to 7590.2
Date: 12/13/2007 17:10:09
Overall Posts Rated:
I absolutely agree with you. I think you should be able to have complete control over the training of your players. If you want to train your C in outside defense you should be able to do so (and thereby make a mistake).

Of course certain skills should be very difficult to acquire for certain type of players (i.e: a C in outside defense), but if a manager still wants to do that well that should be his problem and his right...

This Post:
7590.4 in reply to 7590.3
Date: 12/13/2007 21:21:58
Overall Posts Rated:
I think outside D on a Center can be useful if you are using full court press.

This Post:
7590.5 in reply to 7590.4
Date: 12/14/2007 11:56:44
Overall Posts Rated:
Well you confirm my point then, each manager has his own way of looking at things and therefore why not let him train whatever he wants?...

This Post:
7590.6 in reply to 7590.5
Date: 12/14/2007 12:23:22
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not against it, i'm just saying that outside D might be usefull for a center. I would love to have full control over my training aswell.

This Post:
7590.7 in reply to 7590.6
Date: 12/14/2007 17:54:23
Overall Posts Rated:
Just seems opening up full control of training fits with the ideals of what the BB's are trying to do with the game. It would allow for even more ability to train well rounded players. Wouldn't the focus on multi-skilled players be bolstered by allowing managers to train PF/C in outside shooting or passing; guards in shot blocking or rebounding; etc.

Another thing this would improve is the ability of managers to train up players to a certain level for when they are too old to train, and then be able to keep them. For instance, if I could train a PF in some outside skills they might grow into a SF which I could keep and not have to sell off after all the time and effort put into training.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
7590.8 in reply to 7590.7
Date: 12/15/2007 06:57:55
Overall Posts Rated:
Another thing this would improve is the ability of managers to train up players to a certain level for when they are too old to train, and then be able to keep them. For instance, if I could train a PF in some outside skills they might grow into a SF which I could keep and not have to sell off after all the time and effort put into training.

I'm in complete agreement with you here. To take this idea a bit further, I find the current training system makes attempting to train a highly-skilled SF a nightmare; and should prove extremely tedious for managers training SFs for national teams. In order for a SF to be trained optimally in all skills, he will have to play part of his career at PG, SG, and C to receive maximum training in both inside and outside skills.

This Post:
7590.10 in reply to 7590.9
Date: 12/15/2007 09:08:56
Overall Posts Rated:
In order for a SF to be trained optimally in all skills, he will have to play part of his career at PG, SG, and C to receive maximum training in both inside and outside skills.

Ironically, none at SF.

Edited by WFU03 (12/15/2007 7:45:37 AM CET)

Actually, he can play at SF to train One-on-One, and perhaps Jump Shot (unless Outside Shooting for SG only is a more efficient training method, there isn't much data collected on Outside Shooting).

This Post:
7590.11 in reply to 7590.8
Date: 12/15/2007 18:35:01
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess it would also be an option to move to training other positions easier. For instance, I'm training PF/C and have trained up 2 really good centers and they're getting a little old to train. I could hold onto them, buy a couple SF trainee's, and switch to training SF/PF. Get to keep the players I put so much time into training (training, my way), and continue training the rest of my players.

Finding it difficult to see a reason NOT to have the freedom in training we're all suggesting here.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt