Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 08/24/2023 09:35:05
Luckers on the wave
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi all,

How you all doing? 1st season in big boys club! Wish you all competitive and injury free season!

One question tho - how do you all afford big players as such!? I mean average league income is negative 190k

To: LOTW
This Post:
320239.2 in reply to 320239.1
Date: 09/21/2023 03:04:13
Torc Colossus
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
My profit was always about 100K with one of the higher salaries in the league too. I would have had high merchandise because I had a lot of national team players plus a good PR manager helps too.

As for how to operate at minus 190K I think some teams save up and run at a lost. Is the income still -190K now?

This Post:
320239.3 in reply to 320239.2
Date: 09/21/2023 05:50:18
Luckers on the wave
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
I think that was early season - so yeah it was miss representing true value..

I think most run ok with high arena capacities... where is me ... well on the edge of bankruptcy!

But let's see if i can make it out..

This Post:
320239.4 in reply to 320239.3
Date: 09/28/2023 05:03:04
Rigol Rockets
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
Really being able to compete at the top level consistently is about long term financial management. There really isn't any quick way to become a dominant team in this game.

You really have to build your income pipelines. A big arena and maximizing ticket sales and merchandising is kind of imperative for long term success. The arena takes a number of seasons to build but provides a large income. Arena designs can also generate arena sponsorships but can take a while to make a return on investment. Merchandising, particularly jersey sales, is really mainly affected by developing home grown stars to Junior NT or Senior NT levels. These take a number of seasons to come to fruition. Remember home grown players you develop have a training exemption which will help stave off the overextension tax.

Periodic rising and falling of your team is a common strategy. This revolves around developing your home grown stars, but will take a while to get working as well. Basically as your developed players get old, sell all your team, and draft new players and rebuild. Do not invest in buying high cost players until you develop your home grown talents to a level to compete. When you are ready to compete buy a squad, but keep some money left over for running at a loss for a period of time. Then repeat the process.

Its possible in a small league like Ireland to avoid the periodic rise and fall and be competitive, but in the largest leagues you really have to do it, and really time the periods when you are actually going to compete for titles or cups.

This Post:
320239.5 in reply to 320239.4
Date: 09/28/2023 06:04:12
"CAPO D' IRLANDA"
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
Exactly... well done!

This Post:
320239.6 in reply to 320239.4
Date: 09/29/2023 06:08:07
Luckers on the wave
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
Thank for input and yes i understand it.. however going from bots league to active league there is huge gap and petty i didn't understand floor salary, as that is a killer to me.. but hope will get through to it... so i cannot afford to expand as i don't earn enough to cover all.. had to fire few staff members - maybe some of them are overrated

Few questions i have:

What does it consider home grown player? Is it the one that has been drafted by your team or does it also include the ones you train even if you didn't draft and/or they are different nationality?

Also on
Remember home grown players you develop have a training exemption which will help stave off the overextension tax.

What exemption is that or how does it work?

This Post:
320239.7 in reply to 320239.6
Date: 09/29/2023 13:59:23
Rigol Rockets
Super League
Overall Posts Rated:
There is a guide in the forums to answer a lot of general questions. You can find it here (https://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thr...)

I'll try to answer the ones you've asked, but the forum guide is probably a more reliable source. My info is from my experience, as well as reading posts, and from talking to other people as well, so might not be 100% reliable.

Home Grown Player

I believe it says somewhere in the manual that your fans want to see locally produced talent do well. That means drafting or signing young players from your country and training them for the NT will have a bigger impact on jersey sales than signing a player.

Also signing a foreign player and developing them to their NT standard will have a positive effect, but not as much as if they were from your teams country.

Game time and performance will have an effect on jersey sales as well, but for example, I have seen that 3 of the top 6 jersey sales for my team are guys I inherited/drafted and trained myself. And they are consistently there unlike others - its usually like 3 of the top 5.

Overextension Tax and Training Exemption

There is very little on overextension tax in the manual and I haven't seen a formula on it (as I haven't run into it yet because I've been concentrating on developing income pipelines, in particular the stadium, so I never have to think of it other than setting ticket prices), but here is my take on the rules and discussions I've had with a few others. If your running at a loss you might have more info about the exact formula on your economy page - look at 'Overextension Tax*' on the 'Baseline Weekly Economy' section of the page.

From the “The Economy” guide:

The training exemption is the difference between the current overall salaries and the combined overall salaries of all players when they were acquired.

Basically, when you acquire the player is basically when you draft or sign them. The difference in salary mainly happens due to training them (or you have bought a player at the end of a season, and he was trained by the previous coach and doesn’t pop his salary until the off-season when salary is recalculated).

I’m going to ignore training exemption for a basic explanation of over-extension tax. Over-extension tax is basically a deterrent to running your team at a loss. It is an extra tax. If your average expenses are more than your average revenue you are considered to be over-extended and you will be taxed 50% of the amount you are over extended by (I've heard people say this but never seen it myself so can't confirm 100%). If your 100k over you pay 50k extra in tax.

The training exemption is a way to offset this. If the difference between the salary of the players you have trained is 150k for example your exemption is used to offset your overextension and you pay 0 in tax, and you still have 50k of exemption left over so you can accommodate 50k extra in expenses without revenue increase without incurring overextension tax.

Its far more cost effective to train young players as younger players train quicker and this will have a bigger effect on the exemption. Remember you can draft a player for like 5k salary or less and train them up to like 250k. In that case an exemption on just one player is 245k. You can train multiple players easily so if you have saved enough money, you can conceivably run at a big loss for the period of time you have planned for before being charged overextension tax, (which is the deterrent to you running your team at a loss in the first place). You may also finish training a few players and be training more so theoretically you could run at a massive loss without incurring over-extension tax.

Staff
As regards staff, yes some are more important (trainer), some are needed for certain periods (youth trainer). No point in having a youth trainer if you aren't training someone who's 18/19

Last edited by Rockets at 09/30/2023 07:03:48