BuzzerBeater Forums

BB USA > U21 National Team Debate Thread

U21 National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
296456.17 in reply to 296456.16
Date: 10/24/2018 8:12:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Because Olympic level of play is different from club level play?

This Post:
296456.18 in reply to 296456.13
Date: 10/24/2018 8:15:06 PM
Case Cardinals
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Moonlighters II
With that many seasons played, how many times have you been to at least D3?

This Post:
296456.19 in reply to 296456.18
Date: 10/24/2018 8:16:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was focusing on player development pool. Helping the under 21 teams and becoming a good club level coach.

This Post:
296456.20 in reply to 296456.17
Date: 10/24/2018 8:18:08 PM
Case Cardinals
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Moonlighters II
If you have to genuinely ask these questions you have no business running any U21 team.

This Post:
296456.21 in reply to 296456.19
Date: 10/24/2018 8:30:18 PM
Case Cardinals
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Moonlighters II

You would be a good politician. Very good at not answering questions and offering other stuff instead. The fact of the matter is you do not know nearly enough about the game and how it works to be of any use to the USA. I have actually scouted for U21, you have not even though you claim you have. I have gotten into and competed in the playoffs of D3 for multiple seasons when the game still had a decent D5. It took me less than 2 seasons to make it to D3 again after taking a long break. If you have been around that long even if you were "focusing on player development" you should have been able to reach d3. Management of game shape, arena and some decent old players can get you there even if just for a season.

This Post:
296456.22 in reply to 296456.16
Date: 10/24/2018 9:31:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
KHenry, this is for you in particular.

I too played BB with a different team in the past before taking a break for about a calendar year. So I remember your success in the USA Cup, I remember your previous work with the U21 team in various capacities, and I don't doubt your strategic ability as a manager or a trainer.

My question is this: you are in my league currently, and this past season you had a forfeit against me and ran with essentially a 3 man lineup for a lot of the year. In general you haven't seemed to show much interest in your club team at all. I'm not saying this inherently makes you a bad candidate, but what would you say to all of us to alleviate any concerns about your potential commitment level?

This Post:
296456.23 in reply to 296456.2
Date: 10/24/2018 9:37:07 PM
Jim Almeidas Janitor Crew
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jim Almeidas Backups
There have been multiple things hindering the USA's success over the past few seasons, but the MOST detrimental thing I can see is Game Shape management for the players. This all starts with when these players are 18. Finding good USA managers to train and keep these players in usable game shape is a must. Just within the past 2 seasons there were multiple times that top tier players were not usable in crucial games due to game shape. That cannot happen.

2 similarly built players: If both players are already on the roster and both have the same game shape, then it would come down to the tactic that is being run. Although being similar, they will differ in some areas and those areas are key(getting 2 players with the exact same build is highly unlikely). Whichever one fits better into the tactic being run gets the play.

This Post:
296456.24 in reply to 296456.22
Date: 10/24/2018 9:42:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would say refer to the portion of my speech about real life taking over and where I’m at on that right now. For the club part, I was incredibly disappointed in that forfeit but running with a 3 person lineup was intentional. I had sold off my team in order to finish my arena seating and buy a fancy, expensive arena design(thanks sim city BB!). I wanted to keep my team semi-active and not waste resources during that time. I truly apologize for that forfeit because it ground my gears then and it still does now. If you look at my team before the sell off, they included Nippon U21 trainers and very good players to where I was competitive enough that even with a three player lineup I made the playoffs.

As to alleviating concerns about potential commitment level, as I said in my speech, we are at the end of the high school football season and into playoffs so those will wrap up shortly and this term will have my full attention during the lighter portion of our year.

I once had a team with 1757 players and was $25,835,360 in debt. This is not that team. Join the Discord group open to anyone, but especially for USA managers to improve your club or get involved with the U21 and NT programs (https://discord.gg/cKpNkt2).
This Post:
296456.25 in reply to 296456.2
Date: 10/24/2018 11:44:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
From your perspective(s). What do you see as the most detrimental to usa’s success. Based off the information you have/can easily find going through the logs and such, of our last 4 trips to worlds and last 4 americas.

I agree that we've had some bad luck with GS management over the last several seasons, with many of our top players ending up in less than dedicated hands. I have also had some quibbles with some of our tactical choices, but I haven't been nearly as active in those discussions as I used to be, so it's fairly cheap and easy to make criticisms in hindsight. I'd prefer to avoid it.

2 players are similarly built. Who gets the nod if gameshapes aren’t an issue?

Assuming these players aren't actually identical (in which case, I'd favor the cooler name and the goofier player portrait), I'd say that everybody has certain skills that they favor the most. Ideally, I'd look for whichever player complimented the rest of the roster the most.

This Post:
296456.27 in reply to 296456.26
Date: 10/25/2018 1:00:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
@JK - I respectfully disagree with your first statement. The power to appoint staff and choose tactics comes with winning office. In a perfect world, that would include access to The Bronson also.

@Wardo - Being that you are officially banned from the unofficial Discord chat, where even the mention of your handle on a public thread there violates their private code of conduct. What would be the plan for the self proclaimed "King of Twos" in the event he shocks the world and Zion is saved an 8th time?

@Candidates - Where would you balance your preference of lineups/tactical decisions with input from special interests like the Offsite or the Unofficial Discord (aka 'Medium Dark' Cabal)? Particularly in games of consequence.

As a former U21 coach (Jamaica/Bahamas), I believe it's reasonable to expect the winning coach to execute their duties with confidence, independence, and the accountability for those choices. Where they seek counsel is less of a priority and is ultimately their business.. Placating and/or kowtowing to special interests is not in the job description.

Last edited by Mixx at 10/25/2018 1:46:41 AM

Advertisement