A honest discussion about censorship

Set priority
Show messages by

To: RiP
This Post:
276170.8 in reply to 276170.5
Date: 01/20/2016 03:37:28
Overall Posts Rated:
That's the type of thought process that we would like to avoid. Don't poke the bear and you'll never run into any issues. That applies to everyone.

What "poking the bear" really means is too vague. The two posts following your answer could be seen as taunting and spam. Certainly offtopic. If the "right" user would have posted them, those would at least have been deleted and maybe a temporary ban issued.

I understand that there needs to be some "enough is enough"-policy, but in most cases the rulings seem to be pushing it a bit.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
276170.10 in reply to 276170.9
Date: 01/20/2016 09:19:22
Overall Posts Rated:
I really do not want to go "Michael Kohlhaas" on this topic, but I am pretty sure you know there is a bit more to this.

According to what you said and what I experienced, because there were users that tried to derail the thread, there should be a "general" warning. As soon somebody posts sthg. offtopic/against the rules, he/she should receive a fine according to the internal catalouge. Do I understand correctly?

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular
This Post:
276170.11 in reply to 276170.10
Date: 01/20/2016 11:27:27
Overall Posts Rated:
In the last few months I got the impression, that censorship in these forums has gone too far and there is almost no room left to post criticism, in whatever form.

Don't poke the bear and you'll never run into any issues.

What "poking the bear" really means is too vague.

You guys are both right. What “poking the bear” means is anything a moderator wants it to mean. He can call it “disagreeing with a moderator” and suspend you for it. Been there, done that. Just never disagree with a moderator and you should be okay.

This Post:
276170.13 in reply to 276170.12
Date: 01/20/2016 14:30:31
Overall Posts Rated:
@Mike Franks
Just never disagree with a moderator and you should be okay.

So you mean that everyone who has a different opinion than a moderator will have a problem?
That's not what I said. Some moderators allow some arguments, but to be entirely safe a user cannot disagree openly with a moderator.

In the rules is not written somewhere that you are not allowed to argue with the moderators. So none of them will ever ban you for that reason.
Untrue, based on my first-hand experience.

This Post:
276170.15 in reply to 276170.14
Date: 01/20/2016 19:44:09
Overall Posts Rated:
Some moderators allow some arguments, but to be entirely safe a user cannot disagree openly with a moderator.
So if i will say that LI is the best system and you will disagree I will fine you? I believe not. So I suppose you mean this
- Discussing staff decisions (BBs/GMs/Mods). Please e-mail appeals@buzzerbeater.com with your complaint.

This is written in the rules so in case you will violate it you have to expect that a GM will act.

True based on the evidences.... B)

Yes, and that is the part that a moderator can and has used capriciously to silence something he didn't like. True, based on the evidence. In summary, a user is completely safe only as long as he doesn't disagree with a moderator. Otherwise, he takes his chances.

This Post:
276170.16 in reply to 276170.14
Date: 01/21/2016 03:37:32
Overall Posts Rated:
Untrue, based on my first-hand experience.

True based on the evidences....

Of course it is true, but what I am talking about is that too much is done. Few years ago I had a GM and a few other crusaders who stalked me through all the boards and 1-balled my posts (we had the 5 ball scale back then). Campaigned to get me banned and so on... Thats probably one factor why the post rating system was changed.

I know that alking about that was censored heavily in the past... Maybe I even got a fine for it, pretty unsure, because you just get the ban issued and no notification why. If you write a few posts a day that can be quite dubious. Probably this post will be deleted and I get another ban, depends on which bear feels poked this time.

I think an open and maybe sometimes harsh discussion is still better than threads that look like swiss cheese, because so many posts have been deleted. Of course insulting statements should be punished, but as soon as sarcasm and irony are illegal, it becomes pretty sad.

This Post:
276170.18 in reply to 276170.17
Date: 01/21/2016 08:11:16
Overall Posts Rated:
Probably this post will be deleted and I get another ban, depends on which bear feels poked this time.

Just for that line, that post would deserve to be deleted. That is a so weakly shielding... "See, I was right, it has been deleted" or "Not deleted, I can put whatever in my post".

Then go on and delete it - its pretty obvious this is a sarcastic comment, like maybe 50-95% of my statements in general...

Nobody will know anyway what a deleted post contains, I could point out maybe 10-20 other threads with dereailing comments that probably will not be deleted even if I pointed them out. I won't even ask if a ban/fine was issued - I don't want to risk a ban. Another weakly shielding, I know.

Your exaggeration that moderation was "Soviet like", just shows how thin skinned you are when it comes to this topic. I never said anything like that. That fanboy GM was a bit creepy, but thats history.

Last edited by Knecht at 01/21/2016 08:11:31

Advertisement