BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Age

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
17271.9 in reply to 17271.8
Date: 4/18/2008 1:29:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not really a problem. At that age he would be expected to drop skill.

This Post:
17271.10 in reply to 17271.9
Date: 4/18/2008 11:06:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You would expect other skills to drop first though wouldn't you? Players slip defensively, or lose their first step hurting their penetration long before they would lose anything off their jumpshot. I know guys in their 60s that shoot the lights out lol.

I'm not trying to complain or anything, just a though that came to me as I read this.

This Post:
17271.11 in reply to 17271.10
Date: 4/21/2008 3:59:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If I were implementing it, I would make it dependent on the level of the current skill, the particular skill, and the age of the player.

A player might be able to maintain an inept rebounding ability into his 40's, but not a prominent rebounding ability which might not be maintainable in the late 20s without additional training,

I agree that skills that depend more on physical ability and quickness may deteriorate sooner, such as driving, rebounding, and shot blocking. Others that depend more on experience, such as passing might be maintained longer.

You also need to remember that skills include a fractional component that is not displayed, so that a player might lose 0.9 levels of one skill with no visible drop, and a 0.1 level drop in another skill, and have a visible drop.

This Post:
17271.12 in reply to 17271.2
Date: 6/9/2009 9:52:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I was wondering if anyone knows the age at which players start to decline in training. So basically how old can a player be before you notice the change in speed and what is the highest age that is still worth training? hope this makes sense. I would appreciate anyone's insights and help based on experience or even just educated guesses.

Edit: Sorry I probably should've used help forums but a link from there took me here.

Thanks,
Jordanjr

Last edited by Tay Zonday at 6/9/2009 9:54:15 PM

This Post:
17271.13 in reply to 17271.12
Date: 6/10/2009 11:33:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
this has probably been discussed a number of times in the help forums, but as you mentioned it took you here, I might as well try to answer it here...

My personal view is this:

every time the player ages, there will be a decline in trainingspeed. So from what age on? right from the beginning...

until when is he worth training? I'd say 21 for sure, maybe up to 23, but no longer.
I have been keeping players from their 18 and 19, into their 24 and 25 now, and you realy notice they slow down at 21, but still train, once they reach 23 it starts to go slow, once past 25 it takes ages.
I trained as much players as possible all the time, so if you focus on just a few, it might still go a little faster, but if you realy only care about progressing players, and less about game results, I'd say sell them when they are 20 or 21, that way you'll get the best out of training, and at those ages they are still worth a lot.

Maybe others have other visions?

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
17271.14 in reply to 17271.13
Date: 6/10/2009 1:25:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Really?? its that young? I remember reading somewhere that someone was training their players all the way up to 24 and there wasn't much of a slow down. This is great information for me to have that I could just not figure out on my own b/c i dont have the experience of training older players or even players above 21. Thanks :)

This Post:
17271.15 in reply to 17271.14
Date: 6/10/2009 2:22:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
actually you can train them all the way until they are 28 or so. They still will improve, it just becomes very slow.

If you focus pure on training, it's best to train them at their fastest, which is their first few years.
As I said, every time they age, it gets slower... so even though a 23 year old still improves, a 18 year old would improve much quicker, so if you keep training the 23 year old, you're loosing on training.

I personally buy players who are 22 or 23, and also still train them, but that's because the younger ones are either not yet good enough to play in my team, or way to expensive... But since I am in the top division in our country, I try to get as much succes as possible, and am placing training on the second row. In a while other teams will have been catching up, and will pass me, and at that time I will drop out, at which time I will have to step to an other strategy, and train youngsters in a lower division until I will be able again to compete at high level.

It simply is impossible to win the cup AND to become champ of a country at the same time if you want to train 18 and 19 year olds... . It's a choice you'll need to make at some time too I guess.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.

This Post:
17271.16 in reply to 17271.11
Date: 6/10/2009 4:30:56 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
This is an interesting topic!

I agree that great shooters usually don't lose their touch. However, shooting is more than playing H-O-R-S-E. It's also the ability get open for a shot or having the quickness (and some smarts) to create a shot. Jump shots also rely on elevation. So I could see the JS skill dropping with age assuming that the skill takes into account EVRYTHING that goes into a shot.

I hope the developers of this game do take each skill into account with the inevitable skill reductions with age. For example, though JS may diminish for the reasons sighted above, I can't see how FT would fall much with age. Defense may fall faster than other skills, though at my own personal age, I can attest to this: getting older makes it harder to contain, but I can anticipate better and get lots of steals in spite of my diminishing lateral movement. I'm also a little better at rebounding due to the anticipation, though I can't quite jump like I use to. And I'm also a better passer, probably since a big part of passing is court vision which can improve with experience, even if maybe there's a little less zip on a pass. Eventually, the loss of zip and reaction time will catch up with me. The end of all man is worms. (sigh.)

All skills will diminish eventually, but I think the rate at which each particular skill falls should vary with an eye towards common basketball sense. If they don't now, then hopefully this can be addressed with the continual improvements of the game.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
17271.17 in reply to 17271.15
Date: 6/10/2009 8:03:49 PM
Kitakyushu
ASL
Overall Posts Rated:
I had a 24 year old train faster than my 22 year old.. crazy stuff. Do some players take to training better? For example, some players have a hidden foul a lot trait. My player is now 25 and still popping.. I love it..

This Post:
17271.18 in reply to 17271.15
Date: 6/10/2009 10:16:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
actually you can train them all the way until they are 28 or so. They still will improve, it just becomes very slow.

If you focus pure on training, it's best to train them at their fastest, which is their first few years.
As I said, every time they age, it gets slower... so even though a 23 year old still improves, a 18 year old would improve much quicker, so if you keep training the 23 year old, you're loosing on training.

I personally buy players who are 22 or 23, and also still train them, but that's because the younger ones are either not yet good enough to play in my team, or way to expensive... But since I am in the top division in our country, I try to get as much succes as possible, and am placing training on the second row. In a while other teams will have been catching up, and will pass me, and at that time I will drop out, at which time I will have to step to an other strategy, and train youngsters in a lower division until I will be able again to compete at high level.

Okay so what i am getting from this is that the age where it isn't worth the time training players is probably around 23-24. They will still train but unless you have to keep a certain skill level, it isn't recommended to train players 21+.

It simply is impossible to win the cup AND to become champ of a country at the same time if you want to train 18 and 19 year olds... :). It's a choice you'll need to make at some time too I guess.

Well, that is true unless you are jbmrock (BC Törööö) and can win everything there is to win while training three 18 y/o's.

This Post:
17271.19 in reply to 17271.18
Date: 6/12/2009 9:30:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, that is true unless you are jbmrock (BC Törööö) and can win everything there is to win while training three 18 y/o's.

this might have been possible in the past, but while players are improving, and become significatly better then the draftees, this will become more and more impossible.

When I started out, my draftee was the best player in my team, a team I played champion with in division 2.
I don't think that these days someone can claim his best player is his draftee and he is playing champ in div 2 anymore.

draftees can just be respectable at highest, and although a 7 times respectable player might still perform real well, I doubt they will be able to win against the increasingly improving teams when seasons pass by...

Advertisement