Guard Training Advice

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/08/2018 21:59:08
Llama of Wall Street
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
So i'm new to the game , and looking foward to starting my next season, which will be my first full season. I picked up a few perennial allstar guards that i'm training. Ive discussed with my mentor a bit, but there's some areas i'm confused on.

So i'm planning on training JS/DV/HN Guards, as supposedly that's a good strategy. I'm in DIV right now but i'd like for these guards to get me be playable competively in D3 or maybe even D2.

How much inside shot/inside defense is enough? ~10?

What offense best utilizes driving guards? Will zone defenses help against driving guards? Will the bigs with great ID and SB pick up on them as they slip in?

My understanding is Jump range is not very important. Maybe get passing to the 10-12 range.

I know these guys will cap sooner than if they had better potentials so i'm not fully sure what i can expect from salary but i'm guessing in the 25k-40k range.

If it went Ideal, i would think their skills would end up like this?

JS (16), OD (14 would love higher though), DV (16), IS (6-10), RB (idc), Stamina (5?), JR (n/a whatever JS training brings it to), HN (16), PA (10-12), ID (10), SB (N/A), FT (8)

Also my understanding is stamina will train regardless of age, but is this at a reasonable speed? What about free throws?

Is it possible to train your guys until they cap and then train some stamina/FT the next year (if all star break and playoffs isnt enough) and then get trainees the following year, or will the skill cap effect ST/FT speed?

Any guidance would be much appreciated, I've read nearly the entirety of the forum guide, that was super helpful.

This Post:
293020.2 in reply to 293020.1
Date: 04/08/2018 22:30:48
Overall Posts Rated:
How much inside shot/inside defense is enough? ~10?

Depends on the offense and defense you plan on running. It seems you're building inside oriented guards so yeah 10 is a start for IS.

What offense best utilizes driving guards? Will zone defenses help against driving guards? Will the bigs with great ID and SB pick up on them as they slip in?

1. Look Inside, Isolation and Princeton to an extent.
2. Zone defenses will help more than MtM yes.

My understanding is Jump range is not very important. Maybe get passing to the 10-12 range.

Again depends onthe offense. Inside? Sure don't train JR at all (and JS to an extent) You'll definitely want passing.

JS (16), OD (14 would love higher though), DV (16), IS (6-10), RB (idc), Stamina (5?), JR (n/a whatever JS training brings it to), HN (16), PA (10-12), ID (10), SB (N/A), FT (8)

JS might be a tad high for what you're trying to achieve with their potential

Also my understanding is stamina will train regardless of age, but is this at a reasonable speed? What about free throws?

Stamina and Free Throws training speed are not dependent on age but they do not increase with age. In fact Stamina diminishes

Is it possible to train your guys until they cap and then train some stamina/FT the next year (if all star break and playoffs isnt enough) and then get trainees the following year, or will the skill cap effect ST/FT speed?

Yes, those two aren't really bound to the same rules as the other skills. It's better to cap them then train ST/FT

This Post:
293020.3 in reply to 293020.2
Date: 04/08/2018 22:37:15
Llama of Wall Street
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Thank you! Incredibly helpful . I’ve got a lot to learn about this game.

This Post:
293020.5 in reply to 293020.1
Date: 04/08/2018 23:29:43
Springfield Storm
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Here’s a guy I completely trained from scratch with the same potential:

Height: 6'2" / 188 cm
Potential: perennial allstar
Game Shape: proficient
Jump Shot: prolific Jump Range: proficient
Outside Def.: marvelous Handling: wondrous
Driving: marvelous Passing: tremendous
Inside Shot: prominent Inside Def.: prolific
Rebounding: inept Shot Blocking: strong
Stamina: pitiful Free Throw: mediocre

Experience: proficient TSP: 110 (77 + 33)

He’s been my point guard for numerous seasons and is a good PG in D3. He’s not the best but he’s good. Look inside is the offense he works best in. I thought you might be interested in a similar build.

This Post:
293020.6 in reply to 293020.4
Date: 04/09/2018 00:00:01
Llama of Wall Street
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah I’m up to just under 9K seats, with less than half a season played. Hoping to be at about the 15k mark by the end of the season. I should be above 500 record wise this season and clear 80K+ a week, which I believe will be 100k+ soon but won’t know until it starts.

I should be selling all of my trainees from the initial group? And do you mean before they cap? Trying to figure out when “capping happens” that will come with time . Seems like 25-27 depending on potential and training.

Part of what I like about training inside guards is their salary isn’t too bad . I really like their production to salary ratio that’s possible.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I’m trying not to bother my mentor too much haha.

This Post:
293020.7 in reply to 293020.5
Date: 04/09/2018 00:03:13
Llama of Wall Street
III.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes that is very similar to what I’m looking to build. My three main trainees are pretty similar in stat distribution with some minor variances where my thought was they could fill My SF/PG/SG roles but that might be a little hopeful . One of their IS is atrocious but hopefully the elastic effect will help that . Definitely been some early mistakes , but learning from them .

Thank you!

This Post:
293020.9 in reply to 293020.8
Date: 04/09/2018 03:00:19
Diamond Dogs
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
It's beneficial to train drafted players until they cap, even if they bloat your salaries the training exemption will deduct the difference from they players' initial salaries because they are home grown.

This Post:
293020.11 in reply to 293020.10
Date: 04/09/2018 05:29:04
Diamond Dogs
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Neither do I, but AFAIK you save more on salaries as long as the player is your draftee because the growth in salary due to training is added to the training exemption therefore reducing your potential salary if that player was bought from the market instead. I'd be happy if someone more knowledgeable can expand on this.

Last edited by Pro_Shot 🇵🇭 at 04/09/2018 05:29:51