BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Announcement?

Announcement?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 02/26/2009 02:08:56
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, and if we get BuzzerBeater to number 1, and online gamers are going to take a look what the fuzz is all about, the first thing they will see on the BB site is a big fat green announcement in which the developers of the game ask users to manipulate the voting that got them there in the first place....

Is this the way we want to go?

This Post:
77108.3 in reply to 77108.2
Date: 02/26/2009 03:55:28
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it's a positive move. Especially when the focus remains on one voting site a time. Otherwise users lose interest to vote.
I'm also confident we will gain some users out of it.

Climbing the BB-mountain. Destination: the top.
This Post:
77108.4 in reply to 77108.2
Date: 02/26/2009 04:06:03
Overall Posts Rated:
We're close to the top 5... I never expected that it will rise up to this point that fast.

Also, I support this so much, that I put up a post in our thread, sort of like a translation or whatever, doing anything to make our game recognized.

This Post:
77108.5 in reply to 77108.2
Date: 02/26/2009 06:58:40
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this sort of encouragement by the developers is typical in votes like this. These polls are also advertisements for sites like mpogd.com, after all. That also might well be a good argument against taking any of these polls too seriously as a measure of the actual quality of the game. :)

As Mark wrote in the announcement, this is an experiment and I'm not sure what the right answer will be. It seems like winning the vote would be good publicity, but I have no idea how many people it might actually bring in. What I do know is that the community decided to try to organize something like this, and we thought we should try to support their efforts. Whether we do this again really depends upon how people respond, both inside BuzzerBeater and elsewhere, and I definitely appreciate your comments. I think at this point we're committed to giving this a try and evaluating it once it's complete.

I completly agree with all of this, and I hope a lot more people will join BuzzerBeater. But my main concern is the message BB is sending out when the first thing new players will see on the site is this announcement.. I would have put me off! BB needs to advertise to grow, that's for sure, but I think the communtiy is active enough to reach the number 1 position in this poll without BB's asking for it on the news page ;)

Edit: (74085.1). I rest my case :P

Last edited by Thijs at 02/26/2009 07:00:01

This Post:
77108.7 in reply to 77108.5
Date: 02/26/2009 08:54:40
Overall Posts Rated:
my main concern is the message BB is sending out when the first thing new players will see on the site is this announcement.. I would have put me off!

You are partly right

1. The announcement can be taken off after 2 days, and we can continue discussing the issue in the forum.

2. If someone is already at the stage of going to check the game - he will probably check it anyway, and the game has enough to offer to negate any possible put off.

3. Real gamers, know that such an announcement is not enough to bring a game to the top. If the members are not really satisfied, they won't bother. Hattrick, Freekick and other games called for similar activities with much less success. If a game becomes # 3 in few hours (and I suppose it will continue to climb up) - members are very cooperative, and this says something as well.

This Post:
77108.8 in reply to 77108.7
Date: 02/26/2009 11:11:41
Overall Posts Rated:
So far, about 70 additional voters for BB every hour. If it continues like this BB is going to be in 1st place in 4-5 hours

This Post:
77108.9 in reply to 77108.8
Date: 02/26/2009 16:44:08
Overall Posts Rated:
To be honest. This kind of thing definatley works. I've joined games in the past based on these votes and I've no idea where i discovered BB, maybe it was one of these!
I have to say though that BB is the only one i continue to play as my leisure time decreased but these votes definatley make people try out the games.

In fact, i'd be interested to see how many people, after voting, checked out that Tycoon Online site. I did. Didnt join, but i checked it out to see what it was about becuase it's number 1.

This Post:
77108.10 in reply to 77108.9
Date: 02/26/2009 19:50:20
Overall Posts Rated:
I think the point that it might turn off some users could make sense, but just to get some more users to look at the game and try it means that there will probably be some users that stay on BB. So even if a small amount stay and play (and possibly become a supporter), it served it's purpose.

This Post:
77108.11 in reply to 77108.5
Date: 02/27/2009 05:21:09
Overall Posts Rated:
..But my main concern is the message BB is sending out when the first thing new players will see on the site is this announcement.. I would have put me off! BB needs to advertise to grow, that's for sure, but I think the communtiy is active enough to reach the number 1 position in this poll without BB's asking for it on the news page ;)

Edit: (74085.1). I rest my case :P

I Disagree on both counts. It seems to me that not that many people check the forums as see the news. BB got over 1000 votes today to take the top spot compared to the hundred or so a day previously. If I am a new player and one of the first things I see on the site is a pro-active effort to increase the users, I am only encouraged. Just my opinion, of course.

(73868.1) Like this one from the 19th?

Last edited by Heathcoat at 02/27/2009 05:24:22