Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/28/2022 23:57:05
Knights of Autumn
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Select Squad
After six seasons leading South Africa's U21 team, I have decided that I will not be running again for re-election. Though I won't be continuing, I am excited that there is an extremely talented manager, E.B.W., who has thrown his name into the election and whose candidacy I fully support.

In light of the end of my time, I'd like to just reflect back on some of the things that I am most proud of during my tenure. Please note that everything accomplished would not have been possible without the South African managers who elected me, the trainers of South African players and those on the South African Discord who contributed to gameplanning!

- Without a doubt the back-to-back Golds in the African tournament was an incredible accomplishment. It was the first time this was ever achieved in South Africa and it doubled the total number of Gold trophies South Africa had won in its entire U21 history. Does it still bother me we missed the three-peat by 4 points? Absolutely, but I'll still gladly celebrate the two Golds and a Silver!

- At the conclusion of my seasons among South African U21 coaches, I hold the most wins total (59), the highest winning percentage (67.8%), the most wins per season (9.8), only 4 total losses across 3 African Tournament seasons and the best win-loss record (59-28) with there being a wide margin compared to the 2nd best manager's record of 43-41. During my tenure we also had an 18-game win streak, finals appearances in all of my African Tournament seasons, trips to the World Tournament each season, the creation of a community Discord and the development of several players who are already making an impact at the senior National Team level for South Africa.

- Over the course of my training career, I've had a part in training the following twenty-one (how fitting!) South African U21 players - Elphus Siamusiye, Shafilshuna Machemko, Gonasilan Sono, Stephen Jameson, Mxali Koumantarakis, Vincent McDonna, Lizwelicha Legodi, Makhaya Mukumana, Umi Mokitimi, Yera Mji, Thikhathali Zibi, Kamangeni Grumede, Nbomani Mbandi, Scotty Young, Asanda Mbhele, Thandiwe Majola, Ungapake Blayi, Ngolinga Tshwete, Mangoba Nyatsumba, Scott Weir and Mtima Nxumalo. Some stayed on the team much shorter than others but all were kept in play and/or developed in some part by my training staffs.

Of note in particular in that bunch are Shafilshuna Machemko and Asanda Mbhele, both of whom I trained from start to finish and between the two of them, they are featured in the top 3 of the primary all-time records.

Machemko is arguably the greatest South African U21 player of all-time after making his appearance on the team when he was only an 18-year-old rookie and developing into a two-way threat which has carried onto National Team success as he was a starter at the age of 24 in the National Team's championship run. This makes him one of two players, alongside Umi Mugabe, to have won Gold at the U21 and National Team levels though he is the only player to have won two back-to-back U21 Golds in addition to the National Team Gold trophy.

Mbhele on the other hand was also an incredibly decorated defensive big and offensive facilitator as he ended his career with the team as the all-time leading rebounder and the 3rd all-time leader in assists, which is a unique combination that embodied his skillset. In his own right, he should at least be considered in the South African U21 GOAT debate.

- And I'm not done with just supporting South Africa's U21 team as I'm continuing to train Shafilshuna "The Dream" Machemko, Elphus "Shifty" Siamusiye and Gonasilan "The Nightmare" Sono to be mainstays for the South African National Team for many seasons to come. And a sleeper to keep an eye on in the future is my homegrown Utopia drafted South African (what're the odds, right?), Paki "Maestro" Mokotjo, who is hoping to develop into a talent for both the U21 and National Team.

Thanks South Africa for an incredible run!

This Post:
315756.2 in reply to 315756.1
Date: 07/29/2022 10:06:49
Durban AllStars
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Many thanks for your involvement during 6 seasons. I would have liked you to continue the adventure, but I understand that you want to sail towards new horizons. You have made great accomplishments. Today I can benefit in NT from 3 players that you trained or still train. It was also a pleasure to exchange with you by bb-mail. I hope you will stay close to our small community. :)

This Post:
315756.3 in reply to 315756.2
Date: 07/29/2022 23:35:20
Knights of Autumn
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Select Squad
Thanks for the kind words, Sandy! Appreciated getting to work with you during my time. I'll definitely still stick around and follow both South African teams. Keep up the winning ways!