BB Global (English) > Game Engine

Game Engine

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 07/06/2007 11:53:11
Overall Posts Rated:
I have another question about the game engine:

Does a player that has better Jump Shot then inside shot take more Jump shots then inside shots in the game??

For example, I have a player awesome for jump shooting/range and atrocious inside shot. And his shooting percentage continues to suck... In the past, I figured it was because I was playing Low Post, and apparentely Low post means your whole team will shoot inside, not that your PF and C will take more shots then the rest (but that's a whole other matter).

I just think the guy should avoid doing something that he knows he cant do. It goes the same for centers shooting 3-pointers...

And about my guy... Well I changed to Motion, to try to get the most out of the guy (might be my best player) and his shooting percentage continues to suck... Aparentely now it is because on the new inteligent defense system, with motion the adversary will double-team my guy and once again he is doomed...

So, to sum it all up, I think since we choose a player's position based on his skills, the kind of shot he takes on the court should be based on that also. The tactics should determine who will get more the ball and make more shots, and not what kind of shot the players will take.

Edited 7/6/2007 11:58:53 AM by arvie7

This Post:
270.3 in reply to 270.2
Date: 07/08/2007 18:46:27
1986 Celtics
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
So let me outline a little bit the framework under which we currently operate as to what kind of shots a player takes. There is an overall team focus on inside shots, jump shots and outside shots.... this just determines the distribution of opportunites. what the distribution of opportunities is for each type is weighted around the position they play... centers don't get a lot of looks from 3. Once a look has been assigned to somebody.. they evaluate the quality of that look and evaluate how good it is in comparision with other looks the team has been getting lately. So there are some upsides and downsides to this approach...and I'm open to arguments/examples that suggest this is not working... but when i look to your specific case i don't see what you a refering to... it seems since the new game engine (playoff games) everyone has shot as well as can be expected and you dominated your games....can you point me to some specifics so i can take a look?

Forrest
(co-game engine designer)

Edited 7/8/2007 7:04:32 PM by BB-Forrest

This Post:
270.4 in reply to 270.3
Date: 07/09/2007 13:00:04
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess in the playoffs thigns were better. I have to stop to analyse these games in more detail.

But before I was talking about this guy: Alex Sandro Al-Rasheed (342683). Respectable jumpshot and range, playign always as guard, and by following the games live I saw he would get more inside shots then jump shots, and with his inside shot atrocius, he average a horrible 42% in the regular season. He sucked even in games I played Motion.

But in the 2 playoff games he is shooting slightely over 50%, so I guess it might be ok now. I didnt know that there was another game engine change right before the playoffs.

This Post:
270.5 in reply to 270.4
Date: 07/09/2007 15:54:09
1986 Celtics
IV.10
Overall Posts Rated:
well to be more exact it started after the last cup match... though we also have made a few small tweaks since then. (such as the one that caused the snafoo on saturday)