Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
198807.7 in reply to 198807.5
Date: 10/18/2011 00:59:49
Aussie Pride
ABBL
Overall Posts Rated:
By the way there is no single position training for PF, only for C.

This Post:
198807.9 in reply to 198807.8
Date: 10/18/2011 07:12:31
Overall Posts Rated:
But, but... but I love Meert! LOL!

Seriously, thanks for the discussion. With the Draft coming up and my team being bottom of the barrel I should be able to add at least one more legit player to the roster. The idea is to add a SG, then have a full Starting 5 of Youth, and a Back Up Big Man that is still comparable (trainable) young as well.

I would then run two cycles during a Season. One for Big Men and one for Guards (of course, getting all 6 Prospects into each training, with the Bigs enjoying greater success with the Big training and the Smalls getting more out of the Guard training... but everyone improving as a whole). Of course, the main benefit of this would be that Meert needs all this training anyways.

Season One I want to improve Scoring Effectiveness of my Team, so I'm seeing Forward 1 on 1 for half the season. For the Guards I'm thinking Guard 1 on 1 since the Secondaries that pop are so important... but would almost be tempted to just improve Jump Shot (not that worried about Range at the moment overall). I know Handles and Passing are pretty crucial as well and my 'PG' has Inept Handles with his 7 Passing so I could train there... maybe a week or two of Individual Training with him and Meert though... with my best Passing Big thrown in for the Scrimmage? Or my Worst Passing Big to really improve a sore area?

Season Two would be time to take that improved offense and start producing better Defense, with the Bigs working on Inside Defense and the Guards on Outside Defense. I think, once each player got the ID or OD Pop (ID for Bigs, OD for Guards... not waiting on EVERYONE) I'd move to say Shot Block or Rebounding until anyone got a Pop on Bigs, then Steals or Rebounds until some Guard caught a Pop... then right back to the next Set (Big or Small) and Cycle (ID/OD).

Season Three would have my oldest 'prospect' at 26 starting the year (the back up Big) and give me a decent idea of what my Core can do. Some guys would still be very trainable, but by now I should know exactly what this team can do with the Core and what adding other pieces will/should do and how they will train as well.

I can't forget Roland Hanson, PG, as he actually has Superstar Potential. I feel, especially in a V League, that this kind of potential can develop into a devestating player.

This Post:
198807.11 in reply to 198807.9
Date: 10/18/2011 08:07:10
Overall Posts Rated:
Maybe you won't like this, but it's coming from a guy who knows a bit of BB theory and especially training, mainly for guards. I don't want to make elaborates and "why is this good" and "why is this bad"...I will just throw you some lines that come from experience - mine and others.

- MOST IMPORTANT: choose either "guards" or "inside players" and stick to either outside or inside training. Don't mix up the two. Train outside and buy inside, or viceversa

- don't train players that have less then allstar potential. One of the trainees should have at least perennial allstar potential.

- single-position training will get you there much faster than two-position. It's worth it.

- watch the heights of trainees. For guards don't take anyone over 193 cm and for inside players don't take anyone under 201 cm

- the younger, the better. Try to start with 18 years. Don't bother training 24y old players unless you are "rounding them out" with those final pops.

- secondaries rule. For guards: IS, RB. For inside players: PA, HA.

If you train like this, manage well your money, enthusiasm and game shape, you will get to D.III in three to four seasons.

However, when I was in your place, I discarded advices like the one I'm giving to you now (that's why I don't write 3000 words since they prolly won't matter). Now I have mixed feelings about it: on one hand, if I stuck to the advices experienced players gave me, my team would be a bit better. On other hand, it was my journey and nobody else's. So take whatever you like from my advices, discard the rest and enjoy the journey.

Last edited by Koperboy at 10/18/2011 08:08:43

This Post:
198807.12 in reply to 198807.4
Date: 10/18/2011 08:40:30
Overall Posts Rated:
You'll have to find a player with atrocious outside and inside defense.

there was a last season that nowitzki hold hs opposition(in regular season), to very low point per game(or shooting percentage) even top 20 in the league. Probadly cause Chandler, haywood take the most dangerous inside threat but it is still impressive. I think his defence is pretty underated in public view, and yes i was surprised to reading that.

And to get back on topic, i don't know if he is close to Nowitzky in any areas but one of my backups works very well for his salary and i am pretty sure could dominate lower divisions:

(4701310)

Jump Shot: strong Jump Range: respectable
Outside Def.: strong Handling: respectable
Driving: average Passing: strong
Inside Shot: tremendous Inside Def.: sensational
Rebounding: prodigious Shot Blocking: mediocre
Stamina: average ↑ Free Throw: respectable

Experience: strong

I could play him 20 min in BBB on PF/C, without the opponent take advantage of him with a relative cheap salary. For Nowitzky like action maybe add a bit more JS, at least that would be the improvement i would give him when he would be younger.

This Post:
198807.13 in reply to 198807.12
Date: 10/18/2011 10:08:43
Overall Posts Rated:
aha good to know :-DDDDD

we have a dude in our german NT that is a damn offensiv beast with mucho lacks on the other end..a little bit like Dirk :-)

Jump Shot: prodigious Jump Range: prominent
Outside Def.: proficient Handling: prolific
Driving: sensational Passing: respectable
Inside Shot: marvelous Inside Def.: marvelous
Rebounding: marvelous Shot Blocking: proficient
Stamina: average Free Throw: respectable

Experience: respectable

Cheers

Will

This Post:
198807.14 in reply to 198807.11
Date: 10/18/2011 11:25:57
Overall Posts Rated:
- MOST IMPORTANT: choose either "guards" or "inside players" and stick to either outside or inside training. Don't mix up the two. Train outside and buy inside, or viceversa

- don't train players that have less then allstar potential. One of the trainees should have at least perennial allstar potential.

- single-position training will get you there much faster than two-position. It's worth it.

- watch the heights of trainees. For guards don't take anyone over 193 cm and for inside players don't take anyone under 201 cm

- the younger, the better. Try to start with 18 years. Don't bother training 24y old players unless you are "rounding them out" with those final pops.

- secondaries rule. For guards: IS, RB. For inside players: PA, HA.
This is all great advice. I wasted several seasons of training because I didn’t understand some of these points. I would like to add one bit of advice, in my opinion defense will get you to D-IV faster than offense (especially OD), so creating a Dirk should be less important than creating a Ron Artest. And one more thing, I know you really like him and you don’t want to hear it, but don’t train Meert. Sell him, and get someone with more potential and better ID (strong, at least). Good luck!

This Post:
198807.15 in reply to 198807.9
Date: 10/18/2011 11:44:50
Overall Posts Rated:
I support you on this. Don't listen to those who force training, thus making 21-years-old-or-so players with 100+-or-so salaries. You're still not up to handle those players. The vision is the key, if you sense that that European center could become Nowitzki-like, then be patient and train him, it will pay out, and I don't mean financially. I never mixed outside and inside training, but I have seen that forcing with training is crap. You get a rookie with higher potential, you get a dearly bought trainer, and you force, force, force. In three or four seasons, the guy simply grows useless, as his salary grows to an unbearable level. Eventually you choke, you can't sell him for much money as rare managers won't them, or you could, with some luck, if you're training for money. For lower than first divisions, it's nonsense to have one such trained player. I have one, he's playing well and all, but on Mondays I won't to strangle the guy.

So what I'm saying is, do not force with training, don't trouble yourself with minutes, go easy and have patience. You don't want a player who's going to be a financial burden.

This Post:
198807.16 in reply to 198807.13
Date: 10/18/2011 12:09:10
Overall Posts Rated:
damn now you know one player ...eem ... even two players of my team now you can easily destroy me.

This Post:
198807.17 in reply to 198807.14
Date: 10/18/2011 12:29:10
Overall Posts Rated:
Having just limited my D5 opponents to about 58 points per game, I want to second the notion that defense is one of the fastest ways to get good. It's also pretty cheap in terms of player salaries.

When I started I wanted to train both guards and big men too, but as many people have said here, it really won't end up working very well. Because training slows as players age, it's better to start with training one type (guards or big men), and then switch once your first crop of trainees have gotten trained. In that case you can buy veteran players to play with your trainees. For D5 those veterans don't have to be high salary, and now that the playoff deadline has passed, I'd guess you can pick up many of them fairly cheap.

Also, like the original poster, I had notions of training one of the guys I picked up very early, who I really liked for some reason, and I did waste about a season of training on him. But it was still better to dump him and move to better trainees, who have decent starting skills in the slow to train. For guards those are jump range and OD, and starting with decent passing is important.

Advertisement