BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Every team should scout draftees

Every team should scout draftees

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 10/22/2018 20:43:53
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm new to the game but used to play a while ago but was never that involved. I am by no means and expert but the advice on scouting points is just wrong imo. The standard is if you are a top team it is pointless to scout because you will not get a top player but this is just flat out wrong. I looked through many drafts in several leagues and almost every team got at least the 3rd player on their board in the draft but most got the first.

I understand maybe a top team just does not want to take on a new trainee and just wants to spend money elsewhere but the argument that you wont get who you want just does not make much sense to me.

To: Csds
This Post:
296320.2 in reply to 296320.1
Date: 10/22/2018 21:36:23
Overall Posts Rated:
They get their third best player, because they have not scouted. They are drafting players that nobody else put up near the top, since they did not scout.

This Post:
296320.3 in reply to 296320.1
Date: 10/24/2018 10:37:53
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
You're saying the right things, but not necessarily for the right reasons. The reality is that most draft classes are still top heavy, despite changes over the years that made 19yo's more skilled on average and low-potential players less common. Usually, most of the top picks will indeed invest in the draft as long as they're not inactive teams, and this leads to the play-off teams not bothering, as the top players will likely be off the board by their pick anyway.

However, I think a lot of managers are too risk-averse when it comes to the draft, as 10k a week, 140k a season in the modern BB economy is chump change. The key word in the last paragraph is likely; those top picks won't have the points to scout the entire draft unless they've been saving up, so there's always a chance of netting a nice consolation prize at least. And if you don't want that new draftee, there's another team who will gladly buy him off you.

Even those that have a top pick seem far too hesitant to invest properly; this season, I had the 8th pick and decided to go all-in on a whim by scouting the entire draft. Out of the 7 picks ahead of me, 4 were 100% active and none had gone bot. Yet I not only end up with the best player in the draft at #8, I also get the 4th ranked player on my board at #24. HoF 18yo, HoF 19yo.

Of course you're usually not going to get this lucky or have this many leftover points, but you've got to at least give yourself a chance, because what really is 10k or even 20k per week in Buzzerbeater?

This Post:
296320.5 in reply to 296320.4
Date: 10/29/2018 00:36:37
Kira Kira Koseki
III.6
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Yubi Yubi
Would you like the bed of spikes pre-heated or ice cold?

Josh Laga'aia
Height: 6'4" / 193 cm
Potential: hall of famer

Jump Shot: respectable Jump Range: respectable
Outside Def.: inept Handling: average
Driving: average ↑ Passing: awful
Inside Shot: respectable Inside Def.: inept
Rebounding: respectable Shot Blocking: awful
Stamina: average Free Throw: strong

Experience: atrocious TSP: 54 (33 + 21)

Guo Xinlei
Height: 6'6" / 198 cm
Potential: hall of famer

Jump Shot: proficient ↑ Jump Range: inept
Outside Def.: respectable Handling: average
Driving: average Passing: awful
Inside Shot: awful Inside Def.: average
Rebounding: average Shot Blocking: respectable
Stamina: awful Free Throw: atrocious

Experience: atrocious TSP: 57 (35 + 22)

This Post:
296320.6 in reply to 296320.3
Date: 11/01/2018 22:36:05
Overall Posts Rated:
But not all 16th picks are not good. My 16th pick, Torreon, was an ex-U21 player. Drafting is just pretty random.