BuzzerBeater Forums

USA - V.65 > Where's the <3?

Where's the <3?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/16/2011 17:13:08
Overall Posts Rated:
Is 2 logins per season all it takes to go undefeated in the V.65?! You have got to be kidding.

Is it really so tough to get enough talent to take a (garbage shape) paper tiger off the shelf even for 1 game? You all are scratching and pulling hair while this clown promotes effortlessly. He won't even need to win the title with that powder puff game you all are bringing. If he takes the gold then that would deny an additional squad from getting to D.IV.

Is this whole league cool with getting left behind like Bang Bus? Man the F- up, V65!

Last edited by Mix at 12/16/2011 22:32:43

To: Mix
This Post:
204734.2 in reply to 204734.1
Date: 12/18/2011 12:32:05
Overall Posts Rated:
You're right, and my team hopes to change that. Right now, I will have about $700K after tomorrow's economic update. But I don't want to carry big salaries until I need them, so I'm not going to make a move for another big man (besides Troy Matas) until just before playoffs. Once I get a forward or two, my offense will be unstoppable, and I'll have enough money that I should be able to get a good one. I actually wouldn't have bought Matas so early but I wanted to see what kind of impact he would have (prolific IS, tremendous ID, prominent REB) so I could get an idea of what kind of player I would want to get to complement Tate, Means, and Preston. So I don't feel I'm getting "left behind like Bang Bus". I'm just biding my time, but I should be competitive when it matters.

To: Tron
This Post:
204734.3 in reply to 204734.2
Date: 12/18/2011 13:08:18
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your reply, Tank. $700k is a great number to have, especially at the D.V level.

If you're wanting to avoid high salaries then I'd say skip the salary war with Swag and manage your GS/build your enthusiasm. Matas is definitely D.IV caliber, realistically though, there is no player requiring ID 13 in this league. With an enthusiasm above 8, you only need 11 ID to acheive a 13 ID rating if the player's gameshape is 9. Mata's offense is great but all that salary pent up in one player with the inconsistent payouts in D.V are going to hold you back. Focus more on team stats and rankings then the leaderboards. Use http://buzzer-manager.com if you haven't. It's what I used to create the Power Rankings posts while I was here. The team stats and ratings are among the most insightful tools you can use to gauge your team production.

His salary, divided in two, will give you two solid starters. I won the league and clipped your current leader with two 10 ID bigs starting. All you need to do is slow a team's production down and have a competent offense to win. In my opinion it's better to spread it out. When I won it all last season I didn't even have one player over $9K and nor did I pay over $99k for that lineup, which have all moved out at this point..

I see that you have a strong preference for USA players, which is great for merch, but is not practical for becoming competitive on the next level. Round up a core of cheap vets from any country at off peak hours. When you promote you'll have to flush them all anyway. Increase your overall strength while keeping your salaries in control (I won last season with only $72K of team salaries). I have 6 USA on my squad and my merch in D.IV is $24.6K. I had it as high as $28k but had to move some players out. . This will improve your overall team performance, which is more important then having a star. ID is the cheapest skill to pick up so you could be setting yourself up for a fall by banking so much on one position. Save the $20K+ salaries and D.IV level building for when you have the income to support them.

The big fluctuations in attendance settles down in D.IV due to the level of competition. This allows you to plan your acquisitions more effectively. I recently abandoned training all together. Selling 2 trainees, my #3 rated guard, and firing my trainer created a $34K salary hole (team/staff) to bring in a guard but also keep my profits the same. A slow start has put me at 6-6 in my league but I'm actually the #2 team in my conference and in the top 5 overall.

Last edited by Mix at 12/18/2011 15:38:36

This Post:
204734.4 in reply to 204734.3
Date: 12/18/2011 15:59:40
Overall Posts Rated:
Tank.

The other thing you have to think about. At the end of the season, the price of players goes up significantly, so you'll get less player for your cash. Think about buying a week or 2 before the playoffs.

This Post:
204734.5 in reply to 204734.4
Date: 12/18/2011 21:03:17
Overall Posts Rated:
-WfunDina: I figured that, so I definitely will look for a good player slightly before playoffs.

Mix-I do prefer Americans, especially for trainees (which is the thing I really liked about John Preston, besides his height/potential/very balanced skills (started with at least inept in everything). I also liked the fact that Matas was American, but since you say the merch increase is pretty insignificant I will probably look at foreign players in the future. I also think Matas was a pretty decent bargain at $238K, but since you say that he's probably overskilled for the level of competition I may try to flip him for a slight profit on my original investment and look for a cheaper player. I'm still making just under $40K a week even with $20K in scouting (a slight indulgence I allow myself, since I'm exceptionally fond of the draft after picking up Means and Tate in my first draft and Korey Carlton in my second, all of them nice trainees with good starting skills and decent potential), so I'm not looking to necessarily dump him ASAP if I can't get a good price for him. But thanks for the advice.

This Post:
204734.6 in reply to 204734.5
Date: 12/19/2011 01:14:21
Overall Posts Rated:
I would drop that to 10K a week, pretty fast. Why? Well the majority of people in the league can't scout. Not that they don't, but they have no idea what they are looking for.

1st. Star rating, is the most important. The more balls, the less training, they will likely need.

2nd. Star potential. 3-4 balls is the sweet spot, if you are looking for some to train. 4-5, if you want to sell. Really all you need is an All star or perennial all star.

3rd. Age 18 is way more valuable, given everything else is the same. At 19, you lose 8% of your training. Training goes down 8% every year.

4th. Size. Yes men, size maters. Small ones get bonus training speeds on guard skills. Tall ones get bonus training speeds on Big skills.

Here this link will show a thread where they list, how effective a trainer is and how much value the trainee gets (by age).

http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/forum/read.aspx?thread=203537&m=9

Here it is in a nutshell. While Hall of Fame and MVP potential players look great. In actuality they are the death of us financially. Since, we will never be able to train them to their full potential. Each potential has a salary window.

Announcers are the lowest to about 4000 a week salary. At which point training is useless.
Benchwarmers go from 4000 to 6000, a week salary
Role Players range from 6000 to 11K a week salary
6th man range from 11k a week to 18K a week salary
Starter range from 18K to 30K a week salary
Star go from 30K to 50K a week salary
All star go from 50k to 90K a week salary.
Perennial AS range from 90K to 145K a week.
Superstar range from 145K to 200K a week.
ETC. I don't have a good enough range for the MVP to All-time greats.

That is a lot of money to put into 1 player training them. Plus you would need to have the highest level trainer, which are not cheap. The combination of a level 7 trainer and training a Superstar per week, could run you well past 250K PER WEEK.

That is why the draft is a nice way to find potential, sell that potential and buy a cheaper American trainee. Yes buying American will help you on your merchandise.

So in short, only invest 10k a week. Draft as high potential as you can to sell, then buy all star - perennial as, with nice starting defensive skills.

WFUnDina

Last edited by WFUnDina at 12/19/2011 01:15:42

This Post:
204734.7 in reply to 204734.6
Date: 12/19/2011 15:13:23
Overall Posts Rated:
@Tank In all honesty, your first priority above all else should be getting out of D.V. The inconsistency of the competition will hold you back both financially and developmentally. From my accounts, you can make 72% of your arena's worth in D.V. That goes up to 93% once you move up to D.IV.

I agree with WFU that 20K is excessive, especially considering last seasons draft had no MVPs or HOFs. Personally, I don't invest anything in the draft and as stated before abandoned training all together. To get a D.IV competitive set of trainees would cost significantly more than acquiring a good set of vets.

Right now my squad is sitting at 7-6. If I hadn't run trainees in tight games I would very likely be 10-3. The liability is just too high for close matches. Bringing them up to speed comes at a high price, and as i said, to buy them already up to par is very cost prohibitive especially when your arena isn't up to snuff. $700K can get you a tough lineup of 8 that could win it all so you can move to making $100k+ payouts. Everything else is secondary.

Last edited by Mix at 12/19/2011 18:14:14

This Post:
204734.8 in reply to 204734.7
Date: 01/08/2012 20:55:54
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi; i am here to win...

This Post:
204734.9 in reply to 204734.7
Date: 01/08/2012 20:55:56
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi; i am here to win...

This Post:
204734.10 in reply to 204734.9
Date: 01/08/2012 21:04:57
Overall Posts Rated:
What are you going to win with that roster? I know PeeWee teams that would dominate you.

This Post:
204734.11 in reply to 204734.10
Date: 01/09/2012 20:20:00
Overall Posts Rated:
I know D.IV 5 teams you could maybe win 2 out of 5 against ;P