Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/29/2011 17:47:36
MightyMice
IV.37
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
CrazyCrabs
I decided to add this post to provide some general guidance about PG's training. At the beginning, these points can be applied to SG's as well, but at a given point the path will push either on PA (passing) or JR (range). This thread should help me to avoid repeating the same thing to all, but to leave something to the community.

In my background, I trained my Roberto Scalambrieri till the U21 of one of most competitive countries in the world, so I absolutely know what happens when doing so in your team. Moreover, I have scouted several players over last seasons.

Let me list few ground rules.

Rule 0: take training seriously: to create a top player, you must plan your training in mid-long term, and train, train, train, 48' assured every single week, no rest, no relax, no distraction.
Rule 1: a PG is a GUARD first: somebody thinks that a PG does not need shooting. False. 1v1 is a good training when all primaries (shooting, defense and passing) are ok.
Rule 2: train a single spot. Double-spot training is allowed only when you cannot train a single spot. Multi-spot training is allowed only for FT and ST, when needed.
Rule 3: trainer level is at least 4: if you can allow a L5 or above, that's great. However, the effect of a good training superseed the level of trainer. In other words a well trained player with a L4 is far better than a multispot training with L6. Never take L3 or below.

Advantages: when you push hard on one player, you can train in the same way two more, not so well (as you must ensure training to your primary trainee first), but well enough to develop very good players (my team: Paolucci, Lisanti, Masters...)

So, knowing these basic rules, where is the difference? In defining the specific training program for the specific player, tuning it over time, and keeping up the execution. These rules are well known to all Italian scouts. I am following about 30 guards. I can say that less than 5 will have a chance to enter U21. It depends on scout, but more on the manager.

Last edited by GM-BlackMouse at 04/30/2011 10:04:46

This Post:
183495.2 in reply to 183495.1
Date: 04/29/2011 23:18:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Great rules. I will emphasise one thing and that is that you need to have a clear order in your mind of who is the most important, the second and the third. I spent almost all of last season doing JS and 1on1 training and so had 6 trainees. But it is impossible for all 6 to always get 48+ each week but you need to make certain that the most important guys always do and numbers 5 and 6 will get what they can.

We hope that your PG trainees will be one position trained. So that means that you should have 3 trainees. It is a good idea to have an older, better player who can still benefit from training for your toughest game of the week, a guy age 20-24 with a salary of $10,000 a week or more. Then in your other league game you can try to play your most important trainee for 48+ and then in the cup/scrimmage game you can play your third guy.

If everything goes well all three will get 48+ each week, but if there are some issues you can give some minutes to one of the first two in the third match.

Some weeks just everything goes wrong. A player was injured in the first minute of a game. Some one else fouled out in 24 minutes. Then you can look at changing training to JS/1on1 and playing those guys in the cup/scrimage to make up the minutes.

This Post:
183495.3 in reply to 183495.2
Date: 04/30/2011 05:25:02
MightyMice
IV.37
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
CrazyCrabs
Good points.

To summarize it, there is a hierarchy among trainees. Having that in mind, all things will go well to your team.

Let me add that planning a one-two seasons long training allows you to decide which kind of players you have in the roster.

This Post:
183495.4 in reply to 183495.3
Date: 04/30/2011 10:05:04
MightyMice
IV.37
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
CrazyCrabs
Rule 3 added (trainer)