BB Global (English) > Draft: Looking for Ideas

Draft: Looking for Ideas

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
156.2 in reply to 156.1
Date: 05/31/2007 14:57:56
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok I have a few ideas on the "live draft" idea.

And just a note: I have no idea about drafts

Now in response to your points:

1) I have thought of a couple of options. The best being a point system that is related to how much you spent per week. If you spent 40k/w then you would get 48 (12weeks * 4 players) points and a person who paid 10k/w would get 24 points and so on.
When the draft list is released, "Managers" could see the "best position", the "default estimate", the name and maybe the height.
Each point that was accumulated during the season could reveal a particular statistic of a player and then players could rank them in preference (like assigning jersey numbers).

2) The teams who could not log in (me included) should be able to have a decent chance of getting decent players this could be done by having a pre-Draft area where we can select what type of players our points should goo toward discovering. This way if a team lacks a power forward they could select just power forward from the list and when the draft comes around there points go toward finding power forward attributes and then ranking them in order of preference. This maybe another thing the manager could control could be selecting a preferred attribute as an order of preference (e.g. 1. height 2. rebounding 3. inside shot).
Just throwing ideas around at the moment...

3) I think at the point of showing a player information of a player they have scouted you have lost control of that information. You can only make it slightly more difficult for them to distribute that information. I mean once someone has seen the (discovered) attributes of a player they have scouted I don't think you could stop them from writing them down on a piece of paper and telling other people.
I see two ways to stop this being a major problem:
1. Use flash and make the information about players un-selectable (no easy copy and paste)
2. Make the attributes of a player costly to find. (requiring a LOT of points, as suggested above, to discover a whole players attributes.

Anyway hope my ideas lead to something.

Ciao,
Niko

Creator of (http://www.buzzerbeaterstats.com) and (http://www.buzzerbeaternews.com/) -- Ex GM of Australia -- Division 1 winner of Italy Season 1 then moved team to Australia after the country was created by the BBs. Australian team manager for 2 seasons. Won various tournaments and division 1 titles in the following seasons.
This Post:
156.3 in reply to 156.2
Date: 05/31/2007 15:32:57
Overall Posts Rated:
I believe the users SHOULD NOT be able to see any information about the players and should not be able to do anything "live" during the draft. I think this is a MAIN ISSUE both on Buzzerbeater and hattrick. You don't HAVE TO be online at a specific moment, never. I think is important to keep that.

And the solution to maintain that is PLANNING. We should come up with a nice way for the teams to prepared themselves for the draft, planning what they should do, based on the scouting done during the season and on the positions or attributes of players the team is looking forward to acquire.

The idea is the same as the one used for substitutions. You plan what should happen, and then things run automaticaly, and we can JUST WATCH LIVE, what in my opinion would be already very cool...

So I will think longer about how the teams should be able to plan their draft, and I will post soon.

This Post:
156.4 in reply to 156.3
Date: 05/31/2007 16:05:49
Overall Posts Rated:
My ideas:

(0)Just remembering my last post - Draft runs automaticaly (like the games). Teams plan their draft before (like they plan the substitutions for a game), and just watch it live.

(1) I think the choice of which position of player you are interested on should be actually on the scouting option. You should be able to choose a priority rank for scouting, for example: "C, PF, PG, SG, SF", which would mean I want to start scouting the Centers, then the Power Forwars, then the Shooting Guards, and so on. (With the option to not set such priority list, and just scout any of the 48 players randomly, if you want). The player scouted should be a player with best position like the 1st one in the priority list, ramdomly chosen among all players with this position. If there isn't anymore player with that position to be scouted, jump to the 2nd option on the list, and so on. This way if you scouted more centers chances are higher for you to get a center from the draft.

(2) I think we should have 2 parts of the draft, like on NBA. The first would be the draw to decide which teams pick first, completeley based on the final standing of the division (worst teams have higher probability of getting the first position in the draft, like on NBA). We should be able to watch that draw live... pretty cool

(3) I think the idea for the draft choices should be simple: if you scouted X player, the system should first establish which X (among the 48 players) your team scouted, based on your scouting priority list. Maybe the exact player scouted should be saved by the system every week. Then, on the draft night, you should get the best of these X players that is still available on the pool when it comes the time for your team to pick ("best" means higher salary, or following some formula based on the players attributes). If you still have to choose a player and all your X scouted players are already taken, then you get a random choice. This idea would benefit the ones that scout more, respect the draft order (advantage for worst teams), would be fair in every aspect I can think of, and would be (I hope) easy to implement.

(4) At the draft night, we would watch the players being selected. When a player is selected, everyone should be able to see the same info we always can see about other people's players (best position, salary, height, age) and a college game history (generated by the system based on his skills), with points per game, minutes per game, rebounds per game, and so on. Example: "In the first pick of the 2007 draft, the Vitoria Devils select... Kobe Bryant", and then Kobe's info would apears in everyones screen...

Edited 6/2/2007 3:35:31 AM by arvie7

This Post:
156.5 in reply to 156.4
Date: 05/31/2007 16:54:52
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with arvie7, the most players should be able to do during the draft is watch. Making it so that you can select players if your able to be online during the draft and trying to balance that with giving them no advantages to players who can't make the draft is too difficult and not worth it IMO.

This Post:
156.6 in reply to 156.5
Date: 05/31/2007 17:16:28
Overall Posts Rated:
yes, and also there would be no way to control people from sharing info about the players during the draft, like JudgeNik said... That's why nobody should see any skill of player, until they own that player.

Edited 5/31/2007 5:19:09 PM by arvie7

This Post:
156.7 in reply to 156.6
Date: 06/02/2007 03:34:59
Overall Posts Rated:
I edited the post 156.4 and explained better the idea on (1), about scuoting players by best position. I hope the whole idea is understandable, 'cause in fact it's quite simple. Hope to hear the opinion from the BB's about this idea.

This Post:
156.8 in reply to 156.3
Date: 06/02/2007 21:53:30
Overall Posts Rated:
i think it is important you do not have to be online. so everyone should get a list of all players availble well ahead. then everybody could make a table which players he likes first second and so on.
as to pass on informations: noone should be able to see names or IDs of players. just skills, and perhaps height (but not exactly, or with some mistakes of one inch..)

when it comes to the draft, first team to draft selects player numeber one from its list, then team two and so on. if the player has been selected before, the team tries to select player two on its list.

This Post:
156.9 in reply to 156.8
Date: 06/02/2007 23:31:11
Overall Posts Rated:
I think airball has the best idea I've heard so far!

Friends Do not Let Friends Play 2-3 Zone
This Post:
156.10 in reply to 156.9
Date: 06/03/2007 02:40:41
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't ilke the idea of showing the skills of players before.. first because, like it was said before, there is no way to control that information. People will pass it among each other (doesn't matter if it has the name and id or not).. Second, because several teams will end up knowing the skills of a player that will belong to only 1 team, when in fact only the owner of that team that drafted him should know...