Date: 09/15/2020 15:50:31
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
NT seasons 51-52

Well, that was uneventful.
Thanks to all 7(!) of you who voted for me.
I suppose the server issues haven't helped and I don't blame anyone for avoiding the site for a few days, attempting to use it was somewhere between super frustrating and impossible – actually going outside, or doing literally anything else probably better for the sanity (we can't do anything because there's a global pandemic? Oh right, yeah...so all our energies from now on towards BB!)

Season 51 in the NT actually started without me, yesterday we beat Japan 104-86 in a scrimmage. Interesting lineup from Vecx and we got a solid looking 18 point win. They're above us in the rankings currently so it helps on that front.Yuzuki Hoshino at C had a good game for them (I actually know his skills as he's an ex player of mine) but otherwise we were very good defensively (and Easton was still a +18) and not bad at all on the other end. No MVP award as just a scrimmage, and not even my scrimmage but I will award game MVPs for the upcoming games.

My first orders of business today? Well I checked out the above. I've got a spreadsheet and entered all our current squad's skills.

I think I'm announcing one official NT retirement:
Pete Anderson, age 33, cup winner for myself in seasons 41, 42 and 49 retires with the below NT accomplishments:
42 competitive National Team games.
6 National Team scrimmages.
8 competitive U21 games.
5 U21 scrimmages

I can't see I'll need him with the younger guard depth and quality that we have. The picture with the older big men is fuzzier at this stage, so I can't say who will be back or not. Now I'll dismiss them all, and do a bit of scouting of the fringe and younger talent. Most will rejoin the squad soon enough, but if you've got specific questions about your player(s) just drop me a message and I'll let you know my current thoughts (if I don't message you anyway over the next few days...)

Any initial questions or points anyone wants to ask / make?

...and that'll do for post #1? I'm looking forward to it!

This Post:
306464.2 in reply to 306464.1
Date: 09/21/2020 05:48:25
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
Meet the squad for season 51. We'll start with the part of the squad I found easier to select, The Smalls (though some are not that small, we got some modern style Big Wings too):

Phil Marichal, 32, current team: Stinkilemons (EBBL) - homegrown drafted and trained. 53 previous NT games, 28 NT scrimmages, 15 U21 games. 9th in all time points and 8th in assists (if we trust this page), will move up the rankings in both during the season.

Aarumughasami Lal, 31, SkyLimits team, (Chinese CBSL, their top division), owned since bought at 18 – actually helped take them from division 3 to the top. 36 previous NT games, 27 scrimmages, 8 U21 games.

Mathew Dupre, 31, Cambois Donkeys (England II.4), been transferred 6 times in career already so no 1 team can take training credit really. 32 NT games, 16 scrims, 2 U21.

Ian Needham, 29, Stinki Tomatoes (Utopia Heaven), bought at 18. 26 previous NT games, 20 scrims, 8 U21 games.

Kim Bujalska, 29, Optic Fibres (EBBL), bought last week, mostly trained by Grandma of team Porzigod. 22 NT games, 24 scrims, 7 U21s.

Ken Greene, 28, Midnight Stallions (EBBL) – homegrown. 7 NT games, 11 scrims, 6 U21s.

Alexey Sanders, 26, Folgado Lakers II (Utopia II.3) – bought last season, previously trained in China and Hong Kong. In good hands now, owned by Darkonako (winner of many titles and the B3 with both teams). The rookie. 7 U21 apps.

We're going with just 7 initially, there's enough versatility in this group to cover the 3 positions and a few different tactics. My watchlist of 5 potential callups is (in nothing but salary order): Mahoney, Redding, Cummins, Stoker, Tewari. Monitoring them based on game shape, etc. Redding was injured recently so the current GS not a fault of the manager.

The Bigs:

Wayne Edgington, 32, Leipzig Lakers (German Bundesliga), bought a few seasons back from Reds BC (Bakseris) who drafted + trained him. 28 NT apps, 24 scrims.

Jody Hobbs, 31, Doncaster Hawks (EBBL), bought from Extremadabra (who are homegrown themselves – I wonder what made them get rid of a HOF draftee?) as a youngster. Played in one U21 scrimmage, but otherwise this will be his first involvement – does this make it my riskiest selecton?

Hank Easton, 30, Durham Wasps (EBBL), homegrown. 10 NT apps, 11 scrims & 5 U21 games.

Dexter Barral, 27, London Whales (England II.3), another who's homegrown. 20 NT games, 22 scrims, 17 U21 games.

This lot...well, they all have their own strengths and weaknesses. I almost selected Allan Elphinstone (34) – currently in Lithuania and recently bought for 1k(!) but there's quite a few younger bigs I'd like to select once in better GS – I've got a plan to use the 4 above in game 1, so just want to keep my options open. Along with Elph there's 5 others on a shortlist of potential callups, but I don't fancy naming them.

That's largely factual stuff and not too exciting, but anything that'd add flavour to it might also give away info to the opposition. I'd quite enjoy giving everyone an NBA player comparison, but again...So, let's crowdsource nicknames for everyone instead!

It is young overall, mostly exciting, slightly worrying? Players like Bujalska, Needham, Barral already have 20 NT appearances and have 4 more years before hitting the dreaded 33. If we view this as a 2 year period only Marichal and Edgington might start dropping skills next year.

I've got a half-written preview of our group this year done too, depending on how busy/boring work is today I might get it up before the game. If not, 16.55 our time, be there! I’ll mostly likely be in chat but possibly not on discord.

Last edited by Bergkamp at 09/21/2020 06:02:37

This Post:
306464.3 in reply to 306464.2
Date: 09/21/2020 05:54:45
Tide of Fire
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Solid choices, well done - looking forward to seeing the experience gained by these and how that plays out in the seasons to come!

This Post:
306464.4 in reply to 306464.3
Date: 09/21/2020 10:02:48
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
Let's hope the anxiety dream of realising last minute that I'd not selected any goalkeepers for the first game turns out to not mean anything or be a bad sign! Working out who was actually a goalkeeper was really hard as well, it was some kind of secret thing :(

This Post:
306464.5 in reply to 306464.2
Date: 09/30/2020 10:00:39
Overall Posts Rated:

Jody Hobbs, 31, Doncaster Hawks (EBBL), bought from Extremadabra (who are homegrown themselves – I wonder what made them get rid of a HOF draftee?) as a youngster. Played in one U21 scrimmage, but otherwise this will be his first involvement – does this make it my riskiest selecton?

Hi mate, the reason was money, even if it wasn't much, and training spots. The game is not designed to be able to compete while choosing to be full homegrown - Just last season I had to sell one of my best guys in order to keep playing the game, and those 2 millions are slowly disappearing. As for the spots, it was a moment when I had to swap into one-position training to make the push and just couldn't afford keeping him and still win matches I needed to win.

Tough decisions overall but always glad to see my trainees shine elsewhere.

Edit: I should clarify, when I say compete, I mean in a country with a fair number of active managers. Being homegrown in smaller communities is probably a different story if you can systematically stay up your league and generate enough money to maintain high salaries.

Last edited by m4nufactured at 09/30/2020 10:05:45

This Post:
306464.6 in reply to 306464.5
Date: 10/01/2020 12:17:04
Tide of Fire
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Respect

This Post:
306464.7 in reply to 306464.6
Date: 10/05/2020 11:57:48
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
Game 3 tipping off just about now! We lost 1 and 2 (expectedly). I thought we might have more of a chance in this one, but game shapes are tipping the odds in their favour and maybe I slightly underestimated them at the start of the season...despite losing both in the end there were upsides in both of the first games, and they were close at times - it should be a good watch I reckon.

This Post:
306464.8 in reply to 306464.7
Date: 10/06/2020 11:31:44
Overall Posts Rated:
I'll make some big men once Needham is done. We have lost so many games even with Vecx due to inferior rebounding. Unfortunately, it's always the same problem at the beginning of the season: finding 2 English prospects height 6'7''+ and HoF potential, with decent skills and price, is very hard. However we'll have to hope that the Youth Trainer will help fix candidates with subpar initial skills.

This Post:
306464.9 in reply to 306464.8
Date: 10/12/2020 16:49:26
Optic Fibres
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wānaka Lakers
Congratulations on getting that first win under your belt, hopefully many more to come!

This Post:
306464.10 in reply to 306464.9
Date: 10/12/2020 20:24:52
Tide of Fire
III.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes congrats, thats what you call a close finish!!

This Post:
306464.11 in reply to 306464.10
Date: 12/09/2020 19:06:28
Bournemouth Drunkers
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi all!

I am really sorry to not have done any update regarding the u21 NT.
We had one of the greatest team of the last seasons but unfortunately our path was also really tough.
Indeed the result was pretty much as the previous seasons.

I am writing now to say that, after a long thinking, I decided to NOT re-candidate next season. Unfortunately in the last period is even hard to follow my regular team, I think the NT deserve someone who wants to invest more time on it, as I always did in the past.

It was a pleasure for me to be the coach for 8 straight seasons. I learned a lot and also given a lot. My only remark is to not have made it to a further round in the qualification tournament.
I hope also to leave something good and to have helped at least someone from the multitude of messages regarding training advice.

I wish good luck to who will come after.
I know we have a bright future, we just need to find how to open the light ;)