BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Canada > U21 National Team Debate Thread

U21 National Team Debate Thread (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
299225.3 in reply to 299225.2
Date: 05/09/2019 12:48:02
V.A.W.T.
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
You're doing a debate by yourself? =D
I would like to hear what you think you could make differently than FurYak the last 2 seasons, what you would change/improve and how you plan on doing it?
FurYak, anything you would change about your last term? Things that worked and other that didn't work? Things you will do differently in your next term if you're reelected?
I must say I'm not too keen on the "2 terms only" approach, you wouldn't really have an incentive to push the 18 and 19yo upwards like you (I suppose!) did for the 18 and 19yo this past term... anything to say about that?

This Post:
299225.4 in reply to 299225.3
Date: 05/09/2019 14:05:30
Overall Posts Rated:
Answering the last one first:

I don't think my legacy would be quite poor if i came in, tried to accomplish some things, and left the team to rot at the end. So I would hope regardless of who the u21 manager was that they would at least see things through across the board. Furthermore, not every outgoing manager necessarily is willing to aid any future aspiring u21 manager. If someone were to take on the u21 role for the first time (which i did not, so this isn't at you at all just so that is clear), they might not for example be aware of how slow enthusiasm ticks downward and/or how high a level you can get to. They might not be aware of tools to scout players inside and outside of the country, and/or may benefit from some tactical knowledge about how mTIE's work and when to assume your opponent is being honest about such things. So thats why i don't think my honest answer about being in it 100% for a second term but unlikely beyond that should be a sign that i will do less work and skimp on the 18 and 19 year olds.

I feel like the success rate from last season was predominantly in the guidance of those owners whom did not really have the understanding of development at any level. I try not to nit pick a build of a veteran manager much (and thus many starters probably only got owners contacted if their gameshape dipped). We had great gameshape management for the most part, only one core player was iffy at times and one big that was played 130 minutes every 3 game week that i never brought up despite him having played in the age 20 season.

I still wish to utilize a program such as discord, but admit that it appears that most people are not enthusiastic enough to make that worthwhile long term, so i won't be pushing it much though someone can always stop by and leave me a message on it. the previous communication thread is littered with it.

I don't know how much gameplan wise i change from last term. I was open about how far i thought the team could go in americas then, and i wasn't too far off in my expectations in the consolation. I will always learn things from defeats, but for the most part prefer not to second guess my own decisions.

This Post:
299225.5 in reply to 299225.2
Date: 05/09/2019 14:11:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Again, i'll answer the 2nd question first.

Currently, the cap room for most players and the available talent in canada lends itself to 8 potential being sufficient for Small Forwards, and 9 potential being sufficient for guards or bigs.

The training of a u21 player and NT player in the very first season is actually the same for the most part. Generating a lot of elastic effect on a build is critical to increasing more skills in fewer weeks of training, and by getting that setup at 18 it allows for training of secondary skills to occur at 19 (which is the NT path). I tend not to send any MVP with 10 or less inside skills to start with to the NT cause, and similarly any guard with 15 or less skills is predominantly not going to be relevant to the NT manager.

For the first question, the key there is finding the right balance. Having all multiskilled players will handicap the u21 in specific matchups, whereas having all donkey builds (players with very few secondary skills) will also handicap the u21 team in specific matchups. Each player is an independent evaluation and battle as a u21 manager, and you tailor the build not only to the team but to the owner's necessities or expectations.

7 passing and 15 ID on a big is better than a 1 passing and 17 ID, but that is 22 skill points versus 18 skill points.

If you make it say 6 PA and 15 ID versus 4 PA and 17 ID, i would say that one of each player is better than 2 of the same.

To: FurY
This Post:
299225.6 in reply to 299225.4
Date: 05/09/2019 16:46:15
V.A.W.T.
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Fair enough, thanks, good luck!

This Post:
299225.10 in reply to 299225.9
Date: 05/09/2019 21:25:22
Overall Posts Rated:
Getting from 15 to 17 ID is probably a 4 to 5 week adventure depending on the sublevels of the player's ID inside of 15.

Getting a player with say 1 Pa to 2 Pa will almost always take just 1 week. Getting a player from 2 to 3 will also almost always take just 1 week. Getting a player to 4 usually will take 2, unless the sublevels are low Or the HA/DR of the player are very low. So it's almost always benificial to get those first few, which is why i think a 1 in PA is only something you see when a manager is unwilling to train his player out of position (which can happen, not everyone likes to do that when they are doing their local club winning).

The ukraine u21 manager choosing 17 ID in many situations is not wrong. Against teams at the peak of talent in europe, you will find some 18-19 IS monsters there with just the basic training on their secondaries (they mostly will pick players that start with good secondaries, or a guard skill point total north of 25. In order for the Ukraine not to get beat against those teams, a player with more than 15 ID can be quite vital to shutting down the inside threat. It's more important perhaps than a well rounded player. However, it can be quite a bit of overkill when you face other teams that are mid level or lower in europe and have players with 13 or less IS. So again, it's really just a question of what you think you need.

As far as u21 versus NT development, while it is true that the NT would not start passing training until well after age 21, not all u21 starters need 12 passing, and in some cases playing a funnel approach to one target can be detrimental if he has high passing. I think an average SF passing of 9-10 is ideal, and depending on which style of offense you have for the game, it can be the same for the SG or slightly lower. extra PA on a SG is nice in look inside and more important even in low post which slows down tactics for quality shots. Only a handful of players are going to have trained PA quite early, and most of them are 7 potential players that cannot become long term threats for their clubs because of poor starting inside skills.