BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > FML Radio: Italian U21 (NdR619)

FML Radio: Italian U21 (NdR619)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 05/08/2016 13:45:51
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello! Welcome back to FML Radio's second international episode! For those of you joining us for the first time, FML Radio is a show running in the USA forums where we sit down each week with a manger and ask them questions about an aspect of BuzerBeater. The first international episode with LA-Saur0n manager of the three time B3 champions KK Mordor can be found here (278347.1)

By popular demand we are back and sitting down with the coach of the very succesful Italian U21 team. Fresh off of a Worlds gold trophy and currently undefeated in Season 34, he seems to know what he is doing.

Please welcome NdR619! (27092)

(http://i.imgur.com/qu3nRHL.png)
----
Chek: Welcome to FML Radio NdR!

NdR: Hi!

Chek: Tell us a bit about yourself outside of BuzzerBeater

NdR: My name is Andrea, I'm 30yo, former basketball player (at something similar than our III level on BB at my prime! I've been forced to retire by severe injuries), videogame addicted, philosopher and recently become father of a sweet daughter (11 months!). Actually I'm working as a project manager, and in my free time I'm a storyboarder & character's creator for videogames RPG (passion never dies!).

Chek: How long have you been playing BB?

NdR: Since the very beginning of this game, season 1. Many things have changed but this game still captivate me a lot.

Chek: When did you start working with the Italian u21 team?

NdR: I did the U21/NT scouting for many many seasons, especially taking care of the "small forward task". It was the most difficult kind of players to develop in those old days, a huge challenge. I took over the coaching duties in season 32, winning the World Championship in S33.

Chek: The Italian U21 team is ranked #1 in the world with an 82.2% W-L ratio and won the Worlds gold trophy in Season 33. What has made the Italian u21 Team so successful?

NdR: The largest community on BB (which means more players available) and a solid organization (Coach - Head scouting - Scouting - Tactics/Analysts) season after season are the basis. About my coaching, I really appreciate the way we let the users feel involved in the U21 project. Every monday I have my inbox full of messages of U21 trainers or simply people who wants to know more about how we played, why I chose this or that player, why switching defense, prediction and so on. This helped a lot about growing a shared good feeling which drives to accept more easily our training plans and to keep players with the right minutes and so on. A game shape at a high level week after week and predictions are key factors, more than I expected. So I added few important things about training plan/models to give us variety and be less predictable. Italy has always been known as "primary skills players", now it's not like this anymore: we selected the best player suitable with different lineups.

Chek: Italian managers own 14 of the 15 players on the current Italian u21 Team. How was this managed and how did it contribute to the team’s success?

NdR: A good manager is a good manager, whether if he's italian or not. I tried to push the best talented players to trustable managers, in many cases are former U21 trainers who ask me if there are new youngstars to be trained. It helps with communication but to me it's better to have an expert/trustable manager, Italian or not. So I wouldn't mention it as a huge factor in our world championship success and in our current U21 European undefeated strike.

Chek: What is your favorite thing about Italy?

NdR: The historical environment and absolutely the food! I mean, every country has its own typical food, but when I'm on vacation abroad I always miss my Pizza, my Pasta or my Cotoletta alla Milanese. I'm not a supporter of living in Italy right now, we are in an economic/political difficult situation so... let's eat on it!

Last edited by Chekreyes at 05/08/2016 13:58:47

This Post:
278675.2 in reply to 278675.1
Date: 05/08/2016 13:46:06
Overall Posts Rated:
Chek: Are there any users that you feel deserve a shout out for their contribution to the Italian U21 Team's success that may not get the recognition they deserve?

NdR: Dexter & gianloco are already well known, so... Sventra (47391) & Greer (48515) are my closest staff members right now, they are Head of Scouting for PG/SG & PF/C and fantastic mates during tactical reviews/briefing.

Chek: Do you enjoy managing the u21 Team or your own club more?

NdR: The U21. Because after 34 seasons in the game it's something new I've never done before. I love to do experiments with my club, that's why I lost so many times (love silver trophies, duh)!

Chek: Why is Italy shpaed like a woman in high heels kicking a football?

NdR: Because a woman in high heels :] who can dunk in a basket would have been too hard to implement for the "Earth Developers & Designers". :D You know, Italians love women and love football more than anything else.

Chek: If you could see one change implemented in BB, whether it be a rule or something the users do, what would it be and why?

NdR: I suggested many seasons ago to add the Specialities for players such as for Doctor, Coach and PR. For example, something like "Clutch player", a player which scoring percentage could increase of 0,xx to 5% in the final yy minutes. Or "Hometown Hero", a player who receive a light boost in his skills (both offensive and defensive) when plays at home (and if we want to, the same light reduction when away). These are just examples, generally speaking every speciality wouldn't have major impact on the game engine, obviously a bad player wouldn't become MJ only because he's playing at home. It would only be a new strategic's element of variation.
----

Big thanks to NdR619 for coming on the show. Be sure to tune in to their game tomorrow as they take on the Lietuva U21 team! Hope this serves as a reminder to everyone to root for their U21 team and to contribute to the training and tactics planning necessary to make your country successful.

Hit me up with a +1 if you want to see more of these interviews, and feel free to let me know who you think would be fun to see on an episode of FML Radio, I need more ideas! Thanks for tuning in.

Last edited by Chekreyes at 05/08/2016 23:35:02

This Post:
278675.3 in reply to 278675.2
Date: 05/09/2016 13:27:05
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your interview, especially for the question about women and high heels.
I was waiting for the today match before posting, just to avoid bad luck!

This Post:
278675.4 in reply to 278675.3
Date: 05/09/2016 18:09:45
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et
This Post:
278675.5 in reply to 278675.2
Date: 05/19/2016 14:16:49
Greensboro Generals
IV.2
Overall Posts Rated:
if you want to see more of these interviews, and feel free to let me know who you think would be fun to see on an episode of FML Radio, I need more ideas! Thanks for tuning in.

Just was thinking, you need a theme song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9YJvoQIg