BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > I like the current training system

I like the current training system

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 04/05/2016 12:57:25
Overall Posts Rated:
Over the past couple years, there have been many opinions voiced on changing the training paradigm: speeding it up, making it not position related at all, ensuring 48 minutes if someone is booked starter/reserve/backup (and doesn't get injured or foul out), making it not related to # of minutes at all, etc...

Folks who are fine with the current training system usually only share their opinion when they are responding to someone who wants to change it, so I thought I'd just throw this out there.

I like the current system. Always have.

It's challenging as well as fun. It makes your opponents do unexpected things with their lineup, it makes me do unexpected things with my lineup, it can be frustrating at times, and it can lead to much joy (Friday morning pops)...

Certainly, if management decides to alter the training system, I'll take that in stride, but it is my sincere hope that any changes do not come as some sort of complete overhaul.

This Post:
278223.4 in reply to 278223.3
Date: 04/05/2016 20:04:43
Overall Posts Rated:
Honest question, honest answer-
It matters a whole heck of a lot that this is a basketball game.
I've played basketball for most of my life, and have followed the NBA and NCAA for most of my life, besides a short stint where I lost interest, but then I read Bill Simmons' book of basketball in 2011 or so and was reminded of how epic so many of the match ups were and still are. So I began a search for a game where I could manage a team, set lineups, run the financials, etc... I used to play Microleague Baseball as a kid, and always hoped for a Microleague Basketball, but one never surfaced. I've always enjoyed forming a team, using different strategies to outplay my opponent, and seeing the stats develop throughout the season in every sports sim I've played.

First I came across a simplistic NCAA simulator that was pretty fun, but was more of a plug n' play. Then, I found Buzzerbeater, and have been having a great time since. Part of what I was looking for (besides the things mentioned above) was a way to create a team with specific builds that would be ideal for the style you want for them to play. Like to have insanely great passing bigs such as the Bird/Walton Celtics, or a crazy rebounding, slashing, and fast breaking team like Drexler's Blazers, or an ugly defensive minded half court team such as those that materialized in the Knicks/Heat battles of the 90's (I hated those games, but thinking back, they were sort of amazing in a way).

So, you bring up a solid point. Playing guys out of position to get better at said position has nothing to do with real basketball. I'm not going to argue with that. Dwight Howard would never be forced to play PG in an NBA game to improve his handles, and Steve Kerr would never be selected to play down low to improve his shot blocking.

All that said, I don't care. That's what we have to do to train our players in the fictional land of Buzzerbeater. Then, we can play everyone where they should when it counts. The playoffs... or in games where you really have to win in the stretch run and cup games.

As a basketball fan, I don't mind having to set my lineup in a way that I wouldn't have to do in real life in order to improve a player's specific out of position skill. I cringe sometimes, like on my Utopia team when I have to set my PF at SG and hope he doesn't turn the ball over 8 times on offense (but of course I have him guard the opposing PF), and think "this may not go so well", but those are the rules set out in order to achieve my objective of making him better at a guard skill, and I am alright with that. It is a divergence from reality that was created at some point by the powers that be in order to add challenge to this particular game in the realm of training players.

This is still a basketball sim. If it wasn't, I wouldn't play it. It is a basketball sim with a quirky training system that makes you do weird things in order to train players in certain skills. You can always not do that. You can always just train your players in skills that fall under their current position nicely. You could probably build some serious beasts that way. In fact, you probably have (as you are a very experienced BB manager).

In your last full paragraph, you reference people like me who like this game for not being about basketball prior to hearing my actual reply to your opening question. I absolutely like this game because it is about basketball. This basketball fan is not deterred by the wonky training system, and does indeed find it adds to the fun.

It's all still basketball. You're still playing your PF at SG to improve his JR. You're not suddenly playing your Power Forward at 3rd Base to improve his Penalty Kicks.

Iguanadon

This Post:
278223.5 in reply to 278223.3
Date: 04/05/2016 20:12:05
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
I largely agree with the OP. I'd only slightly change things (say, 36 mins per trainee, and making it 100% efficient to train 6 players instead of 3 for all skills)

As for trainermans post, for me it's hard to say why I like BB (so I'm going to ramble and see what comes out). I do know this is my current favourite management sim / sports sim / timewaster, whatever term you like. For years I played hours and hours of the SIgames Championship / Football Manager series but I've gone off it in the last few years because it just takes too much time to complete seasons, and I'm more interested in the transfers / player development stuff than the tactics. I don't know if I got bad at the tactics, or they became too complicated, I don't know, but yeah. To put a BB spin on this: I'd happily play the transfermarket more than we're allowed to. I'm having a particularly bored evening and it'd be nice if I had a 3rd team I could mess around "setting up"...(also my favourite parts of FMs. sack old staff, get rid of useless/hateable players, get new ones, etc...). In BB the whole competing against other humans just adds the extra level to this stuff.

In real life these days I'm more interested in the NBA than football (soccer if you have to), I barely watch any games that aren't Arsenal, even Match of the Day, especially once it comes to the 2nd half of the season and you know where most teams are going to finish. At the start there's some more interest.

The tactics stuff in BB has it's flaws but essentially you can work with what's there to make your team perform how you'd like, therefore this is realistic? I don't know. Yesterday I thought it'd make sense when setting defensive instructions to have the option of matching up on specific opposition by name instead of position.

This is very untraining and very trainerman rant related, oops.

This Post:
278223.6 in reply to 278223.5
Date: 04/05/2016 20:19:06
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you're still on topic, as you are replying to Trainerman.

I don't mean to suggest I don't have a wishlist for this game.

I'd like to see:
- more intelligent sub patterns in overtime.
- garbage time lineups yanked (by timeout, if necessary) when the lead shrinks to 16.
- an autobid on the transfer market (I'm with Trainerman on that one)
- working sub patterns besides SFDC.

But when it comes to training, I'm good.

This Post:
278223.10 in reply to 278223.3
Date: 04/06/2016 01:02:33
Overall Posts Rated:
WHen I realize that people playing this game, because its been a non-basketball sim for so long, like you like it not for being about basketball...and that not only am I not playing a basketball sim, but I am playing probably against people who are not playing it as a basketball sim and don't care about the basketball part...

Well, you are right about this, but in saying that you are playing with fire. I also said it is not a basketball game or even a basketball management game, and called it what it is, a commodity development and marketing game, and people got all postal.