BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > First season strategy

First season strategy

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 03/30/2015 13:14:06
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi everyone, I have played this game in the past and few weeks ago decided to give it another go as have more spare time again. A little bit shocked how few players we have left here and that creates a bit of a predicament for new teams like mine.

So I started in 3rd division surrounded by inactive/bot teams and probably won't struggle to win my league as team I got is not in a bad place table wise. However problem I got is that 2nd division leagues are obviously still have a number of players that have been in the game for a very long time and the gap is huge. What and how should I do next season? Don't really fancy a promotion just to be smashed in every game and potentially get relegated back to were I came from. How to avoid being promoted? If I do not win the play-offs I still may be promoted because there may be some bot teams in division 2? If I lose the finals to a bot team, do I get promoted anyway? Should I give up in semifinals?

All in all, its a shame that this happened to this game, potentially it will take me a few seasons of hibernation and training to be able to stay up in the div 2. Till then, smashing bot teams and giving up in the play-offs? Or am I missing something?

Thanks

This Post:
268520.2 in reply to 268520.1
Date: 03/31/2015 02:39:38
Overall Posts Rated:
Don't stress it.

Even if you start in div5 like me, in the end, this is a game about growing your team and arena. In your position, you will have the bonus of a div2 payroll to help you catch up.

You may get relegated, but if you plan accordingly and manage well, you will be competitive. You just don't have to deal with the lower payouts of climbing the divisions like some of us :)

This Post:
268520.3 in reply to 268520.1
Date: 03/31/2015 09:20:06
Overall Posts Rated:
If I was in your position I'd pick up six potential trainees for cheap, train them exlusively in 1-on-1 for forwards and sell 3-4 of them after a season or two, keep and train the others as cornerstones - use all the income to expand the Arena - do not buy any "good, but old" players as the prices are inflated and there will/should be countermeasures like more free agents - plus there will be less "Utopia-money" destroying the market, so I expect players to become cheaper in a couple of seasons.

For the game: just accept that you won't stand a chance against real competition for some time, enjoy the training, cup and scrimmages.

Größter Knecht aller Zeiten aka His Excellency aka President for Life aka Field Marshal Al Hadji aka Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas aka aka Conqueror of the Buzzerbeater Empire in Europe in General and Austria in Particular

This Post:
268520.4 in reply to 268520.1
Date: 04/02/2015 12:18:20
Arsenal 98
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Stamford Snow Leopards
I'm mostly just saying hi. I signed up about the same time as you, and landed in the other half of III/9 :) New to this game unlike you, but it looks decent. It's smilar to Peloton-game in ways, which I've played for years (and anyone with an interest in cycling - go sign up!). It'll be interesting to track our respective progress, if we both stick at the game anyway.

You may have noticed my current strategy looks a little like buying any player u21 with decent potential ;) Some of this was before I'd properly read the training guide, but even after that, I'm picking up dudes who look like improvements on the first batch I signed. My current roster stands at 30 players :D (I have identified a core 15, the rest are just waiting to be sold/fired. Also know I should cut a few more, I just haven't decided who yet)

I wondered about whether I wanted to get promoted, this message confirmed what I suspected, that I don't. I'm quite happy to enjoy the process though, train a bit, win some games vs bots, as long as my team is getting better and I feel like I'm going somewhere...

Plus, getting smashed every week? I'd be ok with that, I can embrace the Hinkie philosophy. Maybe not everyone has that inside them.

Last edited by Bergkamp at 04/02/2015 12:22:12

This Post:
268520.5 in reply to 268520.4
Date: 04/02/2015 17:10:52
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh cool! Prospect of someone else in the league is quite exciting!

In regards to what you're doing with the team, I would suggest reading the training/merchandising bit a bit more before making any further decisions on the roster. I've taken the coucious route this time round and stashed some cash under the matress.

But good stuff, we will be battling it out next season!

This Post:
268520.6 in reply to 268520.1
Date: 04/07/2015 19:02:22
Optic Fibres
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wānaka Lakers
Even though I started the game somewhat 6-7 seasons ago, I started in a similar situation to you. There's a few things I wish I'd have done differently looking back, expanding my arena earlier and saving all my income to do that was the biggest. In order to compete at D2, you need to have players with high salaries and to do that you have to bring income in from your arena, so I'd recommend getting this up first.
As for next season, I'd just buy 3-6 trainees and a minimum of a superior trainer and train them up so your not using much money and your earning tons of cash throughout arena income, merchandising and TV. When your arena reaches a satisfactory capacity (lets say around 10000), I'd then look to promote and you could do this easily by buying a few older guys with good skills and save as much money as you can to buy better players ready for D2 and to continue expanding your arena. It takes times but it's fun along the way, especially if you train. In this season, just look to finish playoffs and then lose deliberately until your ready to go up.

Last edited by js8 at 04/07/2015 19:03:28

To: js8
This Post:
268520.7 in reply to 268520.6
Date: 04/09/2015 16:34:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Fair enough, looked around a bit more and definetely decided there is no point promoting for a few seasons, until fan base and etc increases. Thanks for reassuring, fingers crossed for the draft. Question with that though, how do bot players pick from draft? Any order or random?

This Post:
268520.8 in reply to 268520.7
Date: 04/10/2015 02:17:11
Optic Fibres
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Wānaka Lakers
Question with that though, how do bot players pick from draft? Any order or random?

I'm pretty sure its random, not 100% certain though.

This Post:
268520.10 in reply to 268520.9
Date: 04/10/2015 11:46:44
Overall Posts Rated:
Tell us Perpete, why do you have an obsession with #42?