BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Guide To BuzzerBeater + FAQ

Guide To BuzzerBeater + FAQ (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 05/24/2010 23:27:37
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Guide by RiP
FAQ by Naker Virus

The Guide to BuzzerBeater

This guide is intended to help rookie and veteran managers alike understand everything that is involved in the BuzzerBeater world. The guide will consist of five main topics: Getting Started, The Basics, Tactics, Training Players and National Teams. It is important to note that this is a guide and nothing more. There will certainly be a lot of factual information in it but there will also be a lot of opinion based segments that are based on my own, and others, experience in this game. Remember, while I and other experienced managers have learned a lot about this mysterious game, it will be up to you to decide how the game really works. I will do my best to distinguish between my opinions and the information that is 100% fact. I hope you enjoy reading this and hopefully it will give you a better understanding of how BuzzerBeater works.

How To Read The Guide + FAQ
A lot of time and effort has been put into the creation of this guide and FAQ so it should come as no surprise that there is a lot of information to read. On many occasions the information from the guide will overlap with the information from the FAQ but this is done intentionally so as to please both the readers who want to read the guide in heavy detail and for the readers who just want a quick fix answer from the FAQ section. Naker Virus and I have decided to use a format for the project where a section of the guide is presented and all the FAQ corresponding to that section will be listed right under it. If this style choice doesn't sit well with you feel free to just use the table of contents pages to get to where you want to go. In terms of actually reading the guide + faq, what and how you wish to read depends on what you are looking for.

1. If you are interested in taking in as much information as possible about BB I recommend you read the whole guide along with the frequently asked questions.
2. If you are interested in learning about a specific topic (e.g. training), I recommend that you use the table of contents page to find your area of interest and read both the guide portion and the FAQ that is there.
3. If you have a specific question you want answered I recommend going to the "FAQ table of contents" and looking under the specific heading (e.g. game shape) to see if your question of interest is listed.

In order to help distinguish between the guide part of this manual and the FAQ part of it you will see a heading at the start of and at the end of each FAQ section. The heading looks like this:

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

Here's an example of what it would like when reading the guide:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Start and middle "forums" section of the guide)...can reward you with a better experience, but this definitely holds true for BuzzerBeater.(End of "Forums" section of the guide)

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

How to find more forums?
In this forum, on the left hand side, if you look towards the bottom there is a link that says “Find more Folders”. Click on that and it will take you to a list of forums that you can look at.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

(next section of the guide) Schedule

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're still confused you should start to get the hang of it once you begin reading.

Last edited by RiP at 09/04/2010 10:34:48

This Post:
144856.2 in reply to 144856.1
Date: 05/24/2010 23:28:07
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Table Of Contents for The Guide

Getting Started
Your First Team (144856.4)
The Forums (144856.5)
Schedule (144856.6)
Setting The Lineup (144856.8)
Buying and Selling Players (144856.9)

The Basics
Game Shape (144856.10)
Game Engine and Match Ratings (144856.11)
Scouting and The Draft (144856.12)
Arena (144856.14)
Economy (144856.17)
Staff (144856.18)
End Of Season Processing (144856.21)

Tactics
Basic Understanding (144856.22)
Pace (144856.23)
Offensive Tactics (144856.24)
Defensive Tactics (144856.25)
Enthusiasm (144856.27)
Skill Breakdown (144856.28)

Training
Training Basics (144856.30)
What Players Should You Train? (144856.32)
Training By Position (144856.34)
Position Breakdown (144856.35)
Training Descriptions (144856.36)
Minutes (144856.37)
Balanced Training (144856.38)
Team Training (144856.39)

National Teams
Intro (144856.40)
How It Works (144856.41)
Training a NT Player (144856.42)

Last edited by RiP at 05/24/2010 23:55:22

This Post:
144856.3 in reply to 144856.2
Date: 05/24/2010 23:28:32
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Table Of Contents for The FAQ

Forums
- How to find more forums? (144856.5)

Cup and Scrimmages
- “I played at home in my cup match but I didn’t receive any ticket sales. Why?” (144856.7)
- How much do I get for winning a match in the cup? (144856.7)
- “My scrimmage match was at home but I didn’t get any ticket sales. Why?” (144856.7)
- What is the best way to schedule a scrimmage? (144856.7)
- What happens if I win or lose a scrimmage? (144856.7)

Game Shape
- How do I maintain/improve game shape? (144856.10)
- Should I train game shape? (144856.10)

Game Engine
- Does height affect performance during a game? (144856.11)

Scouting and The Draft
- How much should I spend on scouting? (144856.13)
- Why can’t I see the draft at the moment? (144856.13)
- “I can see the draft, but when I scouted this week it did not add anything extra to the draft info. Why?” (144856.13)
- What do the draft balls translate into in terms of player salary and potential? (144856.13)

Arena
- How to make money from my Arena? (144856.15)
- How to set the best prices? (144856.15)
- When to expand? (144856.15)
- “The arena page says it has had one day left until completion for three days now. Is this a bug?” (144856.15)
- How many times can I change ticket prices and when can I change them? (144856.16)
- Why did I have a lower attendance for my last home game? (144856.16)
- Do more people attend during Playoff and Relegation games? (144856.16)
- Do some seats sell more consistently than other seats? (144856.16)
- “My arena reported 100% attendance but not all of my seats were sold. Is this a bug?” (144856.16)

Merchandise and TV contract
- What affects merchandise? (144856.17)
- What is the TV contract and how is it calculated? (144856.17)

Staff
- What are the best staff levels to have? (144856.20)
- What are the specialties and does level affect how good the specialty performs? (144856.20)
- If I buy a new trainer/doctor/PR manager today, when will I see his effect? (144856.20)

Tactics
- What tactics are good against other tactics? (144856.26)

Enthusiasm
- How does enthusiasm work? (144856.27)

Training
- When does training take place? (144856.31)
- How do I know if training has taken place? (144856.31)
- “None of my players popped up this week. Is this a bug?” (144856.31)
- “My player had a drop in stamina. Why?” (144856.31)
- “My player had a drop in his main skills. Why?” (144856.31)
- What is DMI? (144856.31)
- "My player keeps fouling out. Why?" (144856.31)
- "Can I train a skill past Legendary?” (144856.31)
- What is the difference between one-position training and two-position training? (144856.34)
- What does each training type train and how long does it take to get a pop up? (144856.36)
- What is the elastic effect? (144856.38)
- Should I do team training? (144856.39)

Potential
- What affects training? (144856.33)
- How does potential work? (144856.33)

Private Leagues
- Do you get anything for winning a Private League? (144856.43)
- What is affected by Private Leagues? (144856.43)

Injuries
- How do I prevent an injury? (144856.43)
- "The injury said it was for 1 week but it has been more than 1 week. Why?” (144856.43)

Walkovers
- What is a walkover? (144856.43)

BB Help Programs
- Are there any BB help programs? (144856.43)

Last edited by RiP at 05/25/2010 00:04:03

This Post:
144856.4 in reply to 144856.3
Date: 05/24/2010 23:28:54
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Getting Started

Your First Team

You've just signed up and the GMs (Game Masters) have accepted your application for a new team. Welcome to BuzzerBeater! The first thing you're probably going to do is check out your team's roster and see how many Lebron's or Kobe's you've been blessed with. Unfortunately for you, new teams tend to start out with "Basketball players" that make better "Basketballs" than they do "Players". No need to worry about that as every BB manager started out with a team like this at some point. The most important thing to remember about BuzzerBeater is that it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It's going to take some time to build your team and have them climb through the ranks so that one day they might obtain that coveted BBB (BuzzerBeater's Best) Trophy. Before I address anything else, I must stress how important it is to read through the game manual. Read it once, read it twice, and then read it some more. Once you understand all the concepts in the game manual you might not even need to continue reading past this point.

This Post:
144856.5 in reply to 144856.4
Date: 05/24/2010 23:29:16
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
The Forums

So... you say you've read both this guide and the game manual several times over and are still uncertain about a particular topic? Well, look no further than the Forums. The Forums consist of many different smaller forums that contain just about anything you'd want to know or "talk" about with regards to BB. You could use the "Help Forum" to get an answer on that topic you've been wondering about, check out the "BB Global Forum" for all the latest news and happenings, see why your National Team just lost its fourth straight game in the "BB Canada Forum" (Or whatever country you might be from) or just browse around in the many other forums. Your team won't win any more games by you participating in the forums but it surely makes the BB experience all that much better knowing that your competition are also real people offering their thoughts about the game and asking for advice to create a winning team. Normally I wouldn't be the type of person to say that getting involved in the community can reward you with a better experience, but this definitely holds true for BuzzerBeater.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

How to find more forums?
In this forum, on the left hand side, if you look towards the bottom there is a link that says “Find more Folders”. Click on that and it will take you to a list of forums that you can look at.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

Last edited by RiP at 07/17/2011 16:48:44

This Post:
144856.6 in reply to 144856.5
Date: 05/24/2010 23:29:36
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Schedule

- Each BuzzerBeater season is 14 weeks long. It consists of 11 weeks of regular season games and three weeks of playoff games.
- League games are played on Saturdays and Tuesdays.
- On Thursdays, you will have a cup match until you are knocked out of your National Tournament. The National Tournament is a tournament with a single elimination format that every team in your country takes part in. It commences at the start of each season and runs until there is only one team remaining. That team is awarded the Tournament Champion Trophy.

The prize scale for winning a round in the cup is as follows:
Final Game: $ 300 000
Semi-Final: $ 135 000
Quarter-Final: $ 100 000
16-team round: $ 80 000
32-team round: $ 70 000
64-team round: $ 60 000
All lower rounds: $ 50 000

- Once you are knocked out from the tournament (or win it), you will need to schedule a scrimmage in order to play a game on Thursday. You can schedule a scrimmage with any team in BB that is not currently still competing in their national tournament. In order to do this, just go to any team page and select whether you want to challenge them to a "Home" or "Away" game. It really doesn't matter which one you choose. You can also accept challenges from other managers that will show up on your scrimmages page.
- You cannot challenge teams to a scrimmage between 12:00 Wednesday and 22:00 Friday, server time.
- Halfway through each season there is an all-star break for every league. This consists of a three point competition and an actual all-star game of players from your league. It's just for fun and it gives the teams a break.
- There are also National Team games that take place on Mondays, BBB (BuzzerBeater's Best) games that take place on Wednesdays, and Private League games that take place on Fridays (For supporters only).

This Post:
144856.7 in reply to 144856.6
Date: 05/24/2010 23:29:58
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

“I played at home in my cup match but I didn’t receive any ticket sales. Why?”
There is no arena attendance for playing in the cup. If you lose your cup match then you don’t get any income and you will be out of the cup. If you win your cup match then you will get a certain amount of money (the amount depends on how far in to the cup you are) and you will remain in the cup.

How much do I get for winning a match in the cup?
The prize scale for winning a round is as follows:
Final Game: $ 300 000
Semi-Final: $ 135 000
Quarter-Final: $ 100 000
16-team round: $ 80 000
32-team round: $ 70 000
64-team round: $ 60 000
All lower rounds: $ 50 000

“My scrimmage match was at home but I didn’t get any ticket sales. Why?”
There is no arena income for scrimmage matches. Scrimmages are still important though, as they allow you to give your players more minutes for training and game shape purposes.

What is the best way to schedule a scrimmage?
You can only schedule scrimmages once you are out of the national cup (which is held at the beginning of each season). You can only schedule scrimmages with teams that haven’t already got a scrimmage, and with teams that have also been knocked out of the cup. The best way to schedule a scrimmage is to go to the ‘Manage My Team’ page. In the bottom right hand corner there will be a box that lists teams that are still looking for a scrimmage. Click on the teams name and it will take you to their team page. At the bottom there is an option to challenge them to a scrimmage. You can select to play at home or away.

Scrimmages take place on Thursdays, at the normal game time of the home team. You can challenge someone to a scrimmage from his or her team page. Simply select whether you wish to be the home team or the away team from the drop-down menu, and click "Challenge!" You cannot challenge users to scrimmages between 12:00 Wednesday and 22:00 Friday server time.

What happens if I win or lose a scrimmage?
Winning or losing scrimmages are irrelevant and do not affect anything. No income is received or lost, your world ranking will not change and fans do not care if you win or lose. It also won’t affect your next home match attendance. Scrimmages are purely for training and game shape purposes. Scrimmages can also be used to try out different tactics and lineups.

Note that playing in a scrimmage will not affect your enthusiasm level. Scrimmages are considered to be played at Normal, and so any drop you see after a scrimmage is just due to enthusiasm level decreasing back to 5 and has nothing to do with the scrimmage.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

This Post:
144856.8 in reply to 144856.7
Date: 05/24/2010 23:30:20
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Setting The Lineup

You can set the lineup for a game up to 15 minutes before the game begins. In order to do this, go to the schedule page and click the "Set lineup" button for the game you wish to set your lineup for. You will then be taken to the page where... you guessed it, you set your lineup. At the top of the page you'll see a box which allows you to load the tactics you had used in any previous game. Below that, you choose what players you want to be active for the current game. You are allowed to pick up to 12 players that can play in the game. Continuing downward, you will see a basketball court where you list what players you want to start the game. You can use the box below it for help as it shows you the skills of all the players on your team, how many minutes they've played that week and what game shape they're in. I will go into more detail about these concepts later in the guide. Make sure to set your backups and reserves (optional) for each position. Finally, decide what type of substitutions, offense, defense, foul trouble and attitude your team is going to use and then click submit orders. Your team is now ready to play!

It also comes in handy to have a standard lineup set in case you forget to set your lineup for a game or didn't have time to do so.

Last edited by RiP at 07/17/2011 16:51:52

This Post:
144856.9 in reply to 144856.8
Date: 05/24/2010 23:30:41
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Buying and Selling Players

Now that you're aware that your team is composed of mostly scrubs and random hobos off the street, you need to do something about it. For starters, it's a good idea to cut your team down to about 13 players. I think the best way to go about this would be to select the two best players for each position and then the next best three. If you're unfamiliar with what a player from a certain position would need, you can go to the "Position Breakdown" section of this guide for help. You probably won't need to do that though, as it matches up pretty closely with the skills a player would need in real life (Ex. A point guard needs to be able to pass and defend the perimeter). Now that you have your 13 players you can sell or fire the other five guys who didn't make the cut. Since the best player on your team at this point probably isn't worth that much on the transfer list, it doesn't really make a lot of sense to try and sell your worst five. It's best to just fire them and move on but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try and sell them if you really think you can get something for them.

Now, before you go out and buy that stud center it would be wise to play a few games with your current team so you can analyze how your players compare to the rest of your league. You can do this by looking at the box scores of your games. Just go to schedule and click the final score of a game to bring up the box score. This will also allow your team time to accumulate money from your home games and the bonus money given to new teams for the first month.

After you've analyzed some game data you can begin changing up your team. When buying and selling players, the "Transfer Price Estimate" gives a good indication of what a player is worth. When selling, it's a good idea to list your players at the high end of the TPE (Transfer Price Estimate) because even if they don't sell you can always re-list them again for a lower price. When buying a player, the transfer list page (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/manage/transferlist.aspx) allows you to search for the type of player you want. Just set the restrictions and "Voila!", a list of all the current players on the TL that fit your requirements. As a new team, you're going to want to buy trainees. These are generally young players who are 20 years of age or less that have a decent skillset for the position(s) you want to train. As players age, the rate in which they train and increase skill decreases, so you want to make sure you are training young players. I will be getting into a more detailed account of trainees and training plans later in the guide but for now the goal was to make you understand how to buy and sell players. Also note that once a player hits a certain age (around 32), their skills will start to decrease, so be careful when buying veterans off the TL.

Last edited by RiP at 07/17/2011 16:54:06

This Post:
144856.10 in reply to 144856.9
Date: 05/24/2010 23:31:05
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
The Basics

Game Shape

Game shape is one of the most important concepts to be aware of in BB. Each player has a game shape that will fluctuate between pitiful (2) and proficient (9) game shape based on how many minutes they play in the previous week. Generally speaking, the game shape of a player will not rise or drop more than about two levels from one week to the next. No one is sure exactly how game shape works but the general consensus is that you want to get your players between 48 and 75 minutes. By doing this, you have a good chance that your players GS will rise or at least not drop much. In terms of game shape, your goal should be to try and maintain all your players (or at least the ones you normally use) between respectable and proficient. Game shape heavily affects how well your players perform so having the best team isn't going to help you much if your best players are at mediocre GS. It's very important to balance your minutes and not overplay any players.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

How do I maintain/improve game shape?
Game shape is determined by the number of minutes that a player has played during the week. There is a popular theory that it is not just this week’s minutes that matter, but also the previous week’s minutes. Aim to play each player between 48 and 75 minutes each week and you should see game shape staying on Strong or Proficient each week. There is a random factor involved in game shape though, and so you can play less than 48 minutes or more than 75 minutes and still get a pop up in game shape, however, it is much less likely. Similarly, you can play between 48 and 75 minutes and get a drop in game shape due to the random factor, but most weeks your game shape will be good. Managing your minutes properly will allow you to keep all game shapes between respectable and proficient on a regular basis.

Should I train game shape?
Unless you have a very good reason to train game shape, in general, do not train game shape! If you do wish to train game shape, before training it I recommend seeking the advice of others via the help forum as it may not be the best move for your team. Note that game shape is reset at the end of each offseason so it is DEFINTELY not advised to train game shape for that week.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

This Post:
144856.11 in reply to 144856.10
Date: 05/24/2010 23:31:23
Auto-Pilot Inc.
III.5
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
The Homegroaners
Game Engine and Match Ratings

The BuzzerBeater game engine is undoubtedly the most mysterious and complex part of this game. It is responsible for determining the outcome of each and every game. Apart from the BBs, no one really knows the intricacies of the GE (Game engine) so we have to get our knowledge of it by watching games and analyzing boxscores. The boxscore can give you a rough indication of what took place in your game based on team ratings, matchup ratings and player ratings. The team ratings display how well a team performed in each category (Outside scoring, inside scoring, perimeter defense, inside defense, rebounding and offensive flow). The matchup ratings display a position vs. position matchup (Ex. PG vs. PG) that indicates how many points would be made per 100 shots. The matchup ratings are a little obscure and aren’t always great at explaining what happened in the game but they can still give you a rough idea of what’s going on. Lastly, every game a player will get a rating based on how well they played in the game. This rating is based on their skills, the position they're playing, their game shape, their stamina and potentially many other things hidden away in the GE.

BuzzerBeater can be a confusing game at times but it is this unknown element that makes it fun and interesting. If we knew everything about the game engine and the way it worked, there wouldn't be much point to playing. Games are only fun when they are challenging.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-

Does height affect performance during a game?
Height does not affect performance during a game. Height is only considered for training purposes. Therefore, two players with Respectable rebounding, and with vastly different heights, will rebound just as well as each other.

-*-*-*- FAQ -*-*-*-