Season 17

Set priority
Show messages by

To: Mr J
This Post:
192810.10 in reply to 192810.9
Date: 08/24/2011 06:29:05
Overall Posts Rated:
LOL, Urmummas just got beaten in the last game, but i still have confidence in him when his team gets to the play-offs.

A questions here from me, what is fishbowl? and I wonder if i can find any useful tread within the BB game and outside on one of the Ausse forums (which I forgot the website)

Good luck to you all

This Post:
192810.11 in reply to 192810.10
Date: 08/24/2011 08:29:02
Overall Posts Rated:
The Fishbowl started some seasons ago as a relatively small PL and has grown into a large, highly respected league featuring many of the top Aussie sides. Many of the ABBL teams play in it including a host of Div II, Div III and even a couple of Div IV teams. THe teams are divided up into conferences. I am an unofficial member of the Calamari Team. I say unofficial as I was supposed to play in this season's Fishbowl but stuffed up. I have been part of a small PL group (8 teams) for the past three seasons. The last PL season went one week too long and I missed out on joining the Fishbowl. I will be doing so next season though. A good mate of mine, work colleague and Div II team is also a Calamari, as is Yodabig. They keep giving me shit about the stuff up.

Many of the BB threads belong to PLs or Forums set up by PLs. I don't have any suggestions on that one.

This Post:
192810.12 in reply to 192810.5
Date: 08/27/2011 08:09:08
Overall Posts Rated:
Congrats, Urmummas. Although I half conceded the game (starters as backups and TIE) your team is just too strong. You have been my pick to take it out this season and that hasn't changed. Last season I saw you do well but The Ms Strike Back were always going to return to Div II. This, however, is your season. Good luck with the remaining games.

This Post:
192810.13 in reply to 192810.12
Date: 08/27/2011 18:16:27
Overall Posts Rated:
hey man hows it going?

i was thinking of pulling the pin to this game, so i decided to sell most of my squad, then realised i missed the game, so come back on and secured a $172K per week beast, do you think i can avoid relegation by looking at my roster?

i want to be competitive here

what do you think matty?

This Post:
192810.14 in reply to 192810.12
Date: 08/29/2011 01:05:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Good Game Matty. I had to sneak up a zone defense to beat you. Seriously, I was not confident of beating you that match, hence normal enthusiasm. It just bad luck to you that Waterhouse got back before our game. About taking out this season, I like to think I am a strong contender but if history means anything, I am always looking over my shoulder for teams like Ozzy Roasters, GC Vikings and you.

This Post:
192810.15 in reply to 192810.14
Date: 08/29/2011 07:07:58
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I agree. I can say though, I've played TIE every game of this season so far and will continue to do so until the finals where I'll surprise whoever I play then (hopefully not you!). What I can say is that your team put in a much stronger effort agaisnt me than GC Vikings. You both played Normal against my TIE and your team seems much stronger. Additionally, if I had have played Normal in either of those two matches I had a strong chance against GC Vikings but it wouldn't have been enough to get close enough to you. My verdict: You will win this season as long as you do the usual stuff...maintain good GS and win games, manage injuries (or have none!) and get your tactics right when it matters. Your team looks good. My team is old and not the team I want but merely the one I need at the moment. This team will change dramatically at the end of the season as I prepare for a stronger season next season.

As for GC Vikings and Ozzy Roasters, keep an eye on XBB and maybe (long shot, but he's got some cash) Get Real.

Incidentally, Waterhouse is awesome! Mind you, I thought my new sg defended him okay. Sure no-one could score against Waterhouse but at least we held Waterhouse's scoriing down...mostly.

Anyway, good luck in your coming games.

Matty

This Post:
192810.16 in reply to 192810.15
Date: 08/29/2011 07:35:09
Overall Posts Rated:
hey matty, what do you think my chances are of staying up in div 3 as per my previousish post

This Post:
192810.17 in reply to 192810.16
Date: 08/29/2011 08:44:53
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey there kangasunited. I missed your post earlier...sorry about that. I will have a look at your roster and respond.

This Post:
192810.18 in reply to 192810.15
Date: 08/29/2011 08:59:54
Overall Posts Rated:
Waterhouse is a defensive PG so scoring isn't his role but gameshape is a big factor for court performance. He just came back from an injury and was on mediocre gameshape. If you want to help me promote, I need you to beat Vikings one more time so I can take home court :LOL!

This Post:
192810.19 in reply to 192810.17
Date: 08/29/2011 09:05:03
Overall Posts Rated:
Holy Crap, Kanga! I hadn't checked your roster out for a bit but did so just now...

...your centre, Marcus, is a ABBL centre. He will absolutely destroy any of the centres in our league. That's the good news. Unfortunately, there is no more good news. I'm going to be absolutely honest here, Kanga. Before I do, can I just say that it would be a real shame if you quit BB. Anyway, here it goes:

Your only other two players worth talking about are Vizmanos (SF) and Marcus (PF) who are both old...31 and 34 respectively. While your top end (SF, PF and C) are okay combined (mostly) you have no depth and absolutely no defense against the many guard focused teams in our division. In short, you would have to play LP / 3-2 tactics every game to stand a chance. While this tactic might get you a couple of wins, your team as it stands has no real chance in our league. There, that's the bad news.

Some good news (kind of): My immediate advice is to sell Marcus! Yes he is awesome and I would kill to have him but if you want to be competative in Div III.3 you can not rely on one great player let alone one great player a reasonable second player and an average third player. If you can get his GS up to Proficient (can't remember what it is at present) and then sell him for a good price (I will check this out and get back to you with a good price to put him at) then the money you make can be better spent on better depth.

To be competative in Div III.3 you would need to add:

1. A strong PG (15k+ salary) and average back-up PG (6-12k salary);
2. A strong SG (15k+ salary) and average back-up SG (6-12K salary);
3. A back up SF (Vizmanos will do fine as starter);
4. Another PF (approx 8-10K salary) and keep Marcus for now (he's old and not that great but will do for now);
5. An average C (10-15k) or two of these is better

While these are just suggestions, what you actually need is of course governed by what you can afford.
If you got a good price for Marcus you could probably afford to get most of these; however, you would most likely have to go for 30 to 31 year olds to be able to afford them all. Of course, I have no idea what funds you have and again, if you have the funds you can afford younger, better players.

It may seem daunting, Kanga, and you have probably enjoyed having Marcus but he alone will not be enough in this league. I would hazard to guess that his weekly salary will do the most damage.

Everything I have said here is only a suggestion and if you want more specific advice on any given question feel free to ask away. However, as it stands, your team is very unlikely to do well with its current personel.

Again, it would be a shame if you quit BB. I would rather you ask as many questions as needed to get yourself back on track.

Let me know how I can help you, Kanga.

PS I just noticed that you were asking whether or not you could avoid relegation. To be honest, Kanga, with the team you have at the moment I would say you wouldn't have a great chance of avoiding relegation. If you make some of the changes suggested above I would rate you much more likely. Your most likely going to finish 7th on our side of the League. This means you'll play 6th place on the other side. The teams on the other side (at the bottom end) are stronger than our side. Worth thinking about.

Last edited by Mr J at 08/29/2011 09:14:59

This Post:
192810.20 in reply to 192810.19
Date: 08/30/2011 05:38:33
Overall Posts Rated:
Good try tonight, Kanga. I'm thinking that game of yours was the perfect example of why I think you need more depth. Marcus was, as expected, awesome! 50+ points and 14 boards is a fantastic individual effort. To have a player do that and still lose by 20+ points highlights your lack of depth and especially your inability to stop opposing guards. I'm really not trying to be a smart arse, Kanga. On the upside, you will get wins with your current line-up against weaker teams on our side of the league but against most of the other teams you will likely struggle. All that aside, Marcus is outstanding!

Advertisement