BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Full Court Press

Full Court Press

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/06/2016 23:54:23
Overall Posts Rated:
Been around this game for years, and I've always kind of wanted to start using Full Court Press, but I still don't know in what situation it would be a good idea. Do any of you guys know when would be a good time to use it? Or what kind of team would be needed for it to be successful?

This Post:
282764.2 in reply to 282764.1
Date: 11/07/2016 01:46:20
Overall Posts Rated:
Better against slow offense with poor handling/passing.
Your players need lots of stamina.

Usually only used against teams that are weaker than you and would already lose to you with other tactics. This can just further run up the score for PD.

This Post:
282764.3 in reply to 282764.1
Date: 11/07/2016 09:47:06
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
There's a lot of nonsense been written about full court press by people who've never used it. Apparently it can never be successful.

In season 32 I promoted from D2 to the EBBL using full court press in all but one game. I had a better team than most of the division its true but I didn't have the highest salaried team.

I continuted to use to use it in D1 the following season, and had a fairly middling season in the league but did make the Cup Final, where I lost playing full court press to a team that was slightly better than mine on the day. And would have beaten me if I'd played another defence.

It can be used against any team if you have the right players. They'll need high stamina and high defensive skills. People also think because you use a fast paced defence you should avoid fast paced offences. This is wrong. In actual fact you'll probably be going against teams with lower stamina, and by playing fast offences also (obviously not in every game) you can actually tire the opposition.

(82481978)
This game illustrated what happens when both teams are tired and was before I'd trained stamina. Note the last three minutes when most of the fourth quarter points were scored. There are almost no misses, because depleted stamina has more effect on defence than offence. Of course it helps that my opponent had players who played the whole game, but that just helps to illustrate the effect of stamina.

I looked for guards with good inside defence, bigs with good outside defence, and high tsp players in general. Also, I checked the histories for players with high steal averages. I also suspect aggression plays a part but can't prove that.

Rebounding will suffer a lot, and I found I had a problem playing against low post, as in general my emphasis on outside skills left me slightly weaker inside, though I didn't find look inside to give me the same trouble, perhaps because of the difference in pace.

This Post:
282764.4 in reply to 282764.3
Date: 11/07/2016 17:47:38
Overall Posts Rated:
Very thorough and helpful answer. Thanks!

This Post:
282764.5 in reply to 282764.3
Date: 11/11/2016 21:54:40
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
thanks from me too, may I ask you why you're not using it anymore?

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et

To: ned
This Post:
282764.6 in reply to 282764.5
Date: 11/12/2016 08:23:39
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
I needed better players to compete in divison 1 and when I upgraded I no longer had enough stamina across the squad to keep playing it.

This Post:
282764.8 in reply to 282764.7
Date: 11/12/2016 09:46:22
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
Perhaps not in every game but definitely I'll be using it again.

This Post:
282764.9 in reply to 282764.8
Date: 11/12/2016 10:00:48
Overall Posts Rated:
Back in the days, I used it to kill the run and gun ofense

As you said, high defenses (both) and Stamina

Howl to the Moon, you won't regret it.
This Post:
282764.10 in reply to 282764.3
Date: 11/12/2016 12:06:39
white snake
Bundesliga
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Black Forest Boars
There's a lot of nonsense been written about full court press by people who've never used it. Apparently it can never be successful.

In season 32 I promoted from D2 to the EBBL using full court press in all but one game. I had a better team than most of the division its true but I didn't have the highest salaried team.

I continuted to use to use it in D1 the following season, and had a fairly middling season in the league but did make the Cup Final, where I lost playing full court press to a team that was slightly better than mine on the day. And would have beaten me if I'd played another defence.

It can be used against any team if you have the right players. They'll need high stamina and high defensive skills. People also think because you use a fast paced defence you should avoid fast paced offences. This is wrong. In actual fact you'll probably be going against teams with lower stamina, and by playing fast offences also (obviously not in every game) you can actually tire the opposition.

(82481978)
This game illustrated what happens when both teams are tired and was before I'd trained stamina. Note the last three minutes when most of the fourth quarter points were scored. There are almost no misses, because depleted stamina has more effect on defence than offence. Of course it helps that my opponent had players who played the whole game, but that just helps to illustrate the effect of stamina.

I looked for guards with good inside defence, bigs with good outside defence, and high tsp players in general. Also, I checked the histories for players with high steal averages. I also suspect aggression plays a part but can't prove that.

Rebounding will suffer a lot, and I found I had a problem playing against low post, as in general my emphasis on outside skills left me slightly weaker inside, though I didn't find look inside to give me the same trouble, perhaps because of the difference in pace.

Just to give one extra point to your statement (which is absolutley correct regarding the results of my analysis):
Use SB!
FCP increases your defensive pressure which is the basic for a successful block. I played several games in the PL using FCP with high SB players and they had an average of 17 steals and 19 blks per game.

This Post:
282764.11 in reply to 282764.10
Date: 11/12/2016 14:06:51
Durham Wasps
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
Absolutely right. I did get increased blocks. From guards as well as bigs. When I said defensive skills, I did mean to include shot blocking, even though I didn't actually say it. When I was in D2 I didn't have a single player with SB less than 7, even including a $3k scrub.